DrToni
DrToni, Psychologist
Experience:  I am a licensed Psychologist in New York State. I have been doing clinical work and research since 2005.
74268649

My boyfriend is an alcoholic, he says he used to take adderall

My boyfriend is an alcoholic, he says he used to take adderall for his ADD, I'm not sure what his problem is, but his anger has exploded lately, he has busted up our home, 3-4 times in the last 6 months. At one point in his rages, I don't even recognize this person. Please help me get him into some kind of program!!! He chooses to drink instead of eat, has maintained his job, (i don't know how),down to 120 lbs. When he isn't drinking, his thoughts race, talks constantly about anything and everything., and can't seem to focus on tasks, or even complete them. It kills me to watch this man kill himself, he seems to be just chasing his tail in circles.

DrToni :

Hi my name isXXXXX and I would like to help you. I'm sorry to hear about the difficult time you and your boyfriend are going through. It's great that you want to get him help but I'm wondering if he's open to doing a detox program or any type of therapy. It seems like he has a dual diagnosis, alcoholism plus something else. Maybe it was ADHD, but it might be more serious than that. Here are 3 organizations that have information and support groups. The link is here:

DrToni :

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002199.htm

DrToni :

AA and Al-Anon are well-known

DrToni :

It would be great to go to a mental health expert who specializes in substance abuse in your area. This person can then work with him and possibly first refer him for some more intensive treatment

DrToni :

Please let me know if there is additional information that I can provide. It's good that you say he has empathy 3 days later, catch him during that time and bring him to a walk-in clinic if possible

Customer:

He just called me, seems he has broken down completely at work, He says he doesn't want to drink anymore, and wants me to look up a halfway house of some sort

DrToni :

Ok, so this is a critical time to take action. I'm not sure of the resources in your area, but is it possible to take him to a walk in-psych clinic. Unfortunately sometimes there are wait lists for programs and he might need to do outpatient before they take him.

Customer:

I'm in New Orleans. And mental health here since Katrina is vague and confusing

DrToni :

If you call this number, they can help:(NNN) NNN-NNNN They will tell you of any facility in your area. Sorry it's still not back to normal in New Orleans.

DrToni :

http://www.drug-rehab.org/louisiana.html

DrToni :

There are some places listed on this site.

DrToni :

If you can't get immediate help from one of these places and you say he has "broken down," you might consider taking him to the ER where they can assess him and take immediate action.

DrToni :

I hope I have been able to provide some helpful information for you. This is a lot to deal with. If you have any more questions, please let me know. Otherwise, please rate my service. I am here to help, Dr. Toni.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the info down and trying to find somewhere to go with him.