Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
46062601

I think I have ADHD. At least ADD anyway. OKMH512211

I think I have ADHD. At least ADD anyway. Are there any OTC things I can try for it?

Hi there,
Thank you for writing in here.

Some medical doctors discuss supplement such as Zinc, Fish oil containing omega-3 fatty acids and GABA are helpful for ADD/ADHD.

I also would advise you to get a physical check-up from your primary care doctor to detect and rule out any medical condition that may cause attention problems and irritability.
You may take a screening test of ADD/ADHD at your doctor's office.

A combination of medication (like Ritalin and Adderal) and Psychotherapy are most effective for ADD/ADHD. If you are open to counseling, I advise you to see a psychotherapist who specializes in Cognitive-Behavior therapy (CBT) and ADD/ADHD. If you are resistant treatment for ADHD, you may need at least a personal coach (life coaching) to help you manage disorganization, attention, frustration tolerance etc.. Are you open to counseling of that kind (Life coaching)?
You can search a licensed psychotherapist with the specialty on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to (http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/ppc/prof_search.php?iorb=4764) and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as Life coaching (or ADD/ADHD). Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Life coaching or Cognitive-behavior therapy . You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? Old or young? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.
If you have no health insurance and need a low fee counseling, you may call The United Way toll free # XXXXX (Dial 2-1-1) to find the community mental health centers in your area where you can get treatment described above even without health insurance.
There are good books to read for you: The books “The Disorganized Mind: Coaching Your ADHD Brain to Take Control of Your Time, Tasks, and Talents by Ratey” and “10 Simple Solutions to Adult ADD: How to Overcome Chronic Distraction & Accomplish Your Goals by Sarkis” may be helpful.
Please let me know if I have overlooked any or you have more questions. All the best,

Reference: The ADHD and Autism Nutritional Supplement Handbook by
Laake and Dr.Compart M.D