Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

I am writing an article part of which requires me to lay out

Customer Question

I am writing an article part of which requires me to lay out the basic symptoms of classic schizophrenia.
I would greatly appreciate your critique on my description.
The description takes up slightly more space than is allowed here, please therefore can you tell me how to send the screed for your perusal? Best Regards XXXXX
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ian,

There must be a " paste from word" option in the tool bar and you can use it to paste your article.

If the space is limited, you can paste it in parts also.

Regards

Vikas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr.Vikas, My text will now fit into this window, it was the initial site window that had a restricted capacity.

To give you some idea of "me" I am 69 years of age and so have some experience of life. I would appreciate your view on my opinion regarding the basic symptoms of Schizophrenia as layed out below.

Please feel free to voice your opinion in any way, from;- outright ridicule- to- copious praise and anything in between. Regards Ian

From my experience the classic symptoms of Schizophrenia are as follows;-

1, Persecution complex; - This reveals itself in the belief that they are being spied upon, followed by unseen forces, and they fear that their lives are being undermined by these malevolent powers.

2. Seeing things that are hidden from others: - A belief that they know, understand and see things that are hidden from outsiders. This reveals itself in their description of otherwise normal coincidences and everyday happenings being arbitrarily brought together and made into `patterns` and `linked` sequences.

3. They may believe that they are not bound by the normal laws of science and society; - This can reveal itself in many forms, I have known a case where the victim came to the conclusion that he did not need to sleep, with disastrous results to his health, on another occasion when the same sufferer came to “fancy” a particular female and turned up on her father’s doorstep, stark naked, demanding to see her, with even more disastrous consequences for his health.

4. Self centred belief and lack of empathy; - One of the most striking yet subtle symptoms, not immediately discernible in the early or milder stages of the illness is a growing self centred attitude revealed in the instant negation of any comment that does not fit with their immediate view of things and an almost complete loss of empathy with other peoples viewpoint or problems.

5. Attacks on others; - In the most extreme cases there can be a complete withdrawal from logical thinking resulting in (possibly fear driven) attempts at suicide or physical attacks on others.

6.. Apparent competence;- One of the most surprising aspects of this madness is that in most cases particularly when the affliction is in its early or less extreme stages the victim appears completely competent in most other aspects of their everyday life, indeed they can show great insight, logic and flair. Although this cannot be regarded as a true “symptom” nevertheless it needs consideration as it can deter one from believing that a psychological problem exists.

7. Lack of evidential thinking; - Most of the symptoms involve the complete disregard for evidential thinking and as the affliction progresses the real world is replaced by ever greater illogical fantasy.

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ian,

Schizophrenia is considered to be a thought disorder which affects, how a patient think, feel and behave.

For diagnosis, 2 or more of the following symptoms must be present for a specific time period.

1 - Hallucinations.
2 - Delusions.
3- Disorganized speech.
4- Disorganized behavior.
5- Negative symptoms such as "
  • You start to lose your normal thoughts, feelings and motivations.
  • You lose interest in life. Your energy, emotions and ‘get-up-and-go’ just drain away. It’s hard to feel excited or enthusiastic about anything.
  • You can’t concentrate.
  • You don't bother to get up or go out of the house.
  • You stop washing or tidying, or keeping your clothes clean.
  • You feel uncomfortable with people.
"source :What is schizophrenia? "

You have mentioned 'Persecution Complex' which will come under Paranoid Delusion. You are correct here but just to add, a Schizophrenic patient may also experience variety of other delusions also in addition to paranoid delusions.

Seeing things that are hidden from others: A well written sentence.

You have not mentioned Hallucinations. Most Schizophrenic patients experience Auditory hallucinations that is hearing voices or Visual Hallucinations that is seeing things, images, situations which does not exist. They may also experience other types of hallucinations involving different senses.

They may believe that they are not bound by the normal laws of science and society - Agree with you here. These patients may exhibit abnormal and bizarre behavior.

Self centered belief and lack of empathy - Schizophrenia is a psychotic illness and psychotic patients are not aware of reality and lack insight regarding their symptoms.

Attacks on others - May occur but is extremely rare. Patient may become violent and act on their delusions or hallucinations.

Apparent competence - This is mainly seen in Paranoid Schizophrenics specially in the early stages of his or her illness. This is not a symptom though.

Lack of evidential thinking - The reason here is again lack of insight and loss of orientation with the reality.

Schizophrenia probably comprises a group of disorders and it includes patients whose symptoms and clinical presentation may vary from one extreme to another. According to DSM itself there are 5 types of Schizophrenia. Your article mainly points towards Paranoid type of Schizophrenia which is the most common type of Schizophrenia seen in clinical practice.

As a whole, I must say that you have tried to mention nearly all the points and it can be considered to be a good article from a person of non medical background.

Kind regards

Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Dr. Vikas, your reply is very useful and most welcome. I will now action payment.

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome Ian.

Thanks for coming to JA.

Kind regards

Vikas