Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

does zoloft help insomnia.I have ulcerative colitis&previous meds affecting it

Dr Vikas :

Hello

Dr Vikas :

Thank you for your question, I’m Dr. Vikas (M.D Psychiatry) and I’ll try to help you.

Dr Vikas :

Zoloft is mainly an activating antidepressant but some patients also report sedation with this medicine. The only way to find out how you will react to this medicine is to take it at night. In addition to Zoloft, your doctor can also prescribe you 1 mg of Ativan to be taken at night on as and when needed basis, which can help in sleep.

Dr Vikas :

The other possible options are Venlafaxine (Effexor) and Paroxetine (Paxil) and you can discuss with your doctor about them also.

Dr Vikas :

Paxil is also a SSRI antidepressant like Zoloft and can cause significant sedation when taken at night therefore is helpful in insomnia.

Dr Vikas :

Effexor is a SNRI antidepressant which is also sedative and can be helpful in insomnia.

Dr Vikas :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service and I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking, if not, please let me know so that l can continue to help you. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

If you do not require further assistance,please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5 / smiley faces) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Please take a moment to rate the answer.

Kind regards

Vikas