Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

Hello, wonder if you can help, Ive recently been diagnosed

Hello, wonder if you can help, I've recently been diagnosed with cyclothymia and have started treatment. I feel a gradual improvement and am relieved with the diagnosis as I've had symptoms since my teens, I'm now 43. I've been off work as a teacher for 8 weeks, I was teaching some aggressive and disturbed children. My mum died after a 4 year cancer battle a few months ago and I have found everything flaring up at the same time, I became really ill with depression/hypo mania 8 weeks ago. I have inherited enough money to pay off my mortgage, I am unhappy in my job, I have done it for 15 years and the thought of going back fills me with horror. I have a brilliant family and close friends and I'm trying to work out if I should stay in a job I hate but am very good at, or pursue my dream of setting up my own business. I have the financial cushion of security now. I am entitled to an extended period of absence and do feel at the very beginning of the improvements in my mental health. I have to meet my boss soon to discuss my absence and M worried I will be talked into returning to work and then have a full breakdown. What would you advise me to do, my GP is supportive and says it will take time and my psychiatrist has said she'll take the lead from when I feel ready to go back to work. I have a clean track record of absence up til now. I don't feel anywhere near going back at the moment and its making me feel depressed and anxious again at the thought. I'd really appreciate your advice, many thanks Seonaid

Rafael M.T.Therapist : Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).
Rafael M.T.Therapist : I am truly sorry to know about your loss, and how it has deeply impacted your mood, functioning and life.
Rafael M.T.Therapist : This has obviously been a very traumatizing event triggering these episodes, where depression and anxiety have become very overwhelming, while making more evident your lack of career fulfillment.
Rafael M.T.Therapist : I do support the suggestions your doctors have already provided, what you truly feel you need and want right now, which seems to be the number one priority in your life, for you not only to heal, but to redirect your life into a much healthier and fulfilling career path.
Rafael M.T.Therapist : Many times people wait for overwhelming things to happen, in order to reassess their core needs and expectations in life, what really works for them and what appears to just limit or undermine our ability for real joy and growth. I think your integral health and well-being need to be leading your priorities list, since everything else depends on how healthy you are at the physical, mental and emotional levels, besides of experiencing real meaning and fulfillment in what you do on a daily basis. now you have the means to pursue your dreams, then I believe there is nothing that should keep you from taking consistent actions, and making of them realities.
Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You have a wonderful support system, good doctors helping you and will be starting counseling soon, thus it seems like you are already your best to rehabilitate and grow stronger from this period in your life.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Does it make sense?

Rafael M.T.Therapist says:5/11/13 6:42 PMHello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).5/11/13 6:43 PMI am truly sorry to know about your loss, and how it has deeply impacted your mood, functioning and life.5/11/13 6:45 PMThis has obviously been a very traumatizing event triggering these episodes, where depression and anxiety have become very overwhelming, while making more evident your lack of career fulfillment. 5/11/13 6:46 PMI do support the suggestions your doctors have already provided, what you truly feel you need and want right now, which seems to be the number one priority in your life, for you not only to heal, but to redirect your life into a much healthier and fulfilling career path.5/11/13 6:50 PMMany times people wait for overwhelming things to happen, in order to reassess their core needs and expectations in life, what really works for them and what appears to just limit or undermine our ability for real joy and growth. I think your integral health and well-being need to be leading your priorities list, since everything else depends on how healthy you are at the physical, mental and emotional levels, besides of experiencing real meaning and fulfillment in what you do on a daily basis. now you have the means to pursue your dreams, then I believe there is nothing that should keep you from taking consistent actions, and making of them realities. 5/11/13 6:52 PM

5/11/13 6:52 PM

Does it make sense?