Louise Brady
Louise Brady, Registered Nurse
Experience:  Registered Mental Health Nurse
30347889

I suffer from some sort of depression, anxiety OKMH0510217

I suffer from some sort of depression, anxiety would be the main symptom involved in this. Going away from home, high stress levels, being around too many people, these can all distort my mind making me feel anxious and depressed, I then cannot eat or and have broken sleep wanting to stay in bed all the time. Thankfully its not permanent, more-so reactive. What are the best therapies to resolve this problem? Thank You

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Louise Brady replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a qualified Mental Health Nurse and would be happy to help with your question.

I am sorry to hear about the symptoms that you are describing, I am in the process of compiling a response to you question.

The physical and psychological symptoms associated with anxiety can often lead to feelings of low mood or depression. Physical symptoms can include increased heart rate or palpitations, nausea, dry mouth and sweating. Psychological may include feeling of hopelessness or dread, restlessness and lack of motivation.

There are specific therapies that can target these types of symptoms of anxiety; cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) can be particularly useful in developing coping strategies and assisting in gaining a better understanding of anxiety and the way that you react to it.

CBT works by focusing on the here and now and involves examining the links between thoughts & feelings (your cognition) and how you react to these in terms of any subsequent behaviour for example avoidance of a situation. It looks at unhelpful thinking styles and thought patterns and seeks to make positive changes.

CBT can help you to make sense of overwhelming problems by breaking them down into smaller parts. This makes it easier to see how they are connected and how they affect you. These parts are:

• A Situation - a problem, event or difficult situation. From this can follow:

• Thoughts
• Emotions
• Physical feelings
• Actions

Each of these areas can affect the others. How you think about a problem can affect how you feel physically and emotionally.

Generally CBT is conducted by a therapist in weekly sessions over a course of 3-6 months. It is thought to be one of the most effective forms of treatment where anxiety or depression is the main problem.

I hope that this answer provides you with some resolution.

Please remember to rate my answer and thank you for your question.
Louise Brady, Registered Nurse
Experience: Registered Mental Health Nurse