Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

Hi Is Latuda a sister drug of Abilify ? I take 2mg one day

Hi

Is Latuda a sister drug of Abilify ? I take 2mg one day 3 mg the next of Abilify daily/ If I g higher I get terrible anxiety. My doc wants me to try Laduda, and I am afraid to . Any advice.

Janet
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

Kindly please clarify at what doses are you taking abilify ?

What is your underlying diagnoses ? You have already mentioned neuropathic pain and depression ? Is there any other diagnosis also ?

I will get back to you once you reply to my queries.

Regards..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HI There

I take 2mg of Abilify every second day and 3mg the alternating day. So it averages out to 2.5 mg daily. I am also diabetic from the ABilify and take insulin Lantus 30 units Bid.

Thanks,

Janet

Thanks for the inputs..

Well you see there are few important points which need to be known about your drug regime..

-- You see at 2.5 mg dose of abilify you cannot expect this drug to do any wonders for your underlying condition as it is a sub- standard dose since a dose of 10 mg at least is expected to be started to have any sort of improvement in condition.

-- But the problem is that owing to diabetes you cannot raise the dose of abilify to 10 mg / day so basically speaking Abilify at present dose is of no use and just contributing to your diabetes therefore it needs to be withdrawn.

-- Yes Latuda ( Lurasidone ) is an atypical anti psychotic drug , just like abilify ( it's a sister drug ) but it has better side effect profile and most importantly it is not associated with any diabetes , so this drug can actually be used to replace abilify but it's effective recommended dose is 40 mg / day , so you shall have to take this dose continuously for some weeks so as to reap benefits from this drug.

Kindly discuss this with your doctor and do the changeover to latuda which seems to be a better and safe drug as compared to abilify which so far has been used only at sub-standard doses but also finds itself to be contributing to diabetes therefore needs to be withdrawn and replaced.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will I be credited for my service.

Regards..

Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry