Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

I am a 24 year old male and suspect that I have aspergers

I am a 24 year old male and suspect that I have aspergers syndrome

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Asperger's syndrome is often overlooked in diagnoses. Sometimes therapists may say it is ADHD or Oppositional Defiant Disorder, or other disorders.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Do you know what the "official" diagnostic criteria are?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Look them over from the DSM-IV psychiatric diagnostic manual and see what you think. Here they are.

Customer: Hi. Yes, I've looked at the 4 different types and don't seem to meet all of the criteria, only some of them
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Diagnostic criteria for 299.80 Asperger's Disorder

(cautionary statement)

A. Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:
(1) marked impairment in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body postures, and gestures to regulate social interaction
(2) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
(3) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people (e.g., by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
(4) lack of social or emotional reciprocity

B. Restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests, and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:
(1) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
(2) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
(3) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g., hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
(4) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

C. The disturbance causes clinically significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

D. There is no clinically significant general delay in language (e.g., single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years).

E. There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self-help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction), and curiosity about the environment in childhood.

F. Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Why do you think you may have Asperger's?

Customer: Socially, I struggle to make friends. I've experienced bullying at school and can be withdrawn from others. I find it difficult to take pa in office chit chat at work unless it is about work. In terms of communication, I can sit through a meeting at work without saying a word, I communicate effectively 1 on 1 but struggle to speak in a group situation, and I don't feel confident in my use of facial expressions, bod language & posture. I have unusual pitch/intonation/rhythm in my voice, loud and sudden sounds make me jump and I experience anxiety in social situations
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

What about your eye contact with others?

Customer: I don't have issues with eye contact, I'd say I make it more with people I know well
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Do you engage in repetitive motions?

Customer: No
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Do you date?

Customer: No
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Some people with Asperger's have a different voice registration (tone, quality, timbre, pitch, resonance) compared to others.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You were bullied because cruel kids found you to be different.

Customer: Yes I believe so
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Many people with AS also suffer from social anxiety,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Did you ever have any childhood trauma?

Customer: Id say that it was purely through the bullying I experienced, yes
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I ask because of the startle response. That could have come from the bullying rather than anything on the the autistic spectrum disorder, including Aspergers's, I believe.

Customer: Ok. Another issue I do have though Is an un-coordinated walk. In particular, I don't swing my arms very much when I walk which some people have noticed before. I understand that this can be a characteristic of someone with aspergers
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It sounds as if you are a person with high functioning Asperger's.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Have you read any self-help books on the subject and if not would you be interested in one?

Customer: Ok, no, I've never read any self help books, yes, I would be interested in one.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Here are several. Sorry computers are slow today

Customer: No problem, thanks. I'll have a look at this. I have had problems getting a diagnosis as where I live, you need to be receiving mental health services in order to qualify for a diagnosis and I am not part of the mental health system
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Here is a new one coming out in a couple of weeks. I have the link for USA but it should come to UK very soon after:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I thought everyone was covered, in a sense, in the UK.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You are highly functional and doing so well.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Hopefully these books will move you up a few more notches.

Customer: Thank you very much. My only concern is that i explained all these symptoms to a mental health professional who discussed it with a board of psychiatrists and mental health nurses who, instead of offering me a diagnosis, signposted me to the national autistic society for health and support.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

That sounds so irrational, but typical of bureaucracies. They perhaps need some guidance themselves. They are on the job and getting payed. I suppose they follow their silly protocols which does not include common sense and human kindness.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I wish you great success and shall keep you in my prayers.

Customer: Thank you. What do you recommend I do next? Is it worth going back to my doctors?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You could ask your doctor for something to help with the social anxiety. I specifically would ask for a mild but effective drug used for performance anxiety. It is a blood pressure medicine (beta blocker) in higher doses and is not addictive.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It is called propranolol.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It might be helpful to you and is worth a try. The doctor should know what it is and know that it is prescribed for social anxiety.

Customer: Ok thanks I'll look into that. I know I should have mentioned this earlier but I have had sessions for cognitive behavioural therapy as I do have social anxiety disorder
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Continue your sessions, and you may want to augment with this medication which is not addictive and which you do not have to take daily.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I shall keep you in my prayers. for continued success.

Customer: Thank you very much for your help
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I am so happy to be able to help you. :)

Customer: Thanks. Bye :)
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Bye. Have a good night.