Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

Can psch meds and synthroid be taken at the same time without

Can psch meds and synthroid be taken at the same time without any pschiatric side effects. I know synthroid should not be taken with food but when I take them both together my thinking speeds up is this normal.... how should they be taken?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well although the psychiatric medications and synthroid can be taken together but with a gap of some hrs , so kindly please mention what all psychotropic medications you are taking so that I can provide you information about how and when to take them ?

Also please mention the dose of synthroid that you are taking and the timing of intake ?

Regards..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1/2 tablet of 50 mcg of synthroid a day

Saphris

Lorazepam

Abilify

Sertraline

Venlaflaxine ER

I generally take the synthroid at 6 am and the remaining pysch meds at 7 am Today I took them all at 6am and it sped upmy thinking

Thanks for the inputs..

Well this is how you should be taking your medications..

Synthroid whole of 50 mcg at 6 am ..

No food or medications in the next 2 hrs of synthroid.

Rest drugs can be taken after 2 hrs of synthroid with or without a small snack or breakfast.

Other than this it came to my observation that you are taking both venlafaxine er and sertraline in this drug regime , which is very risky proposition because these two drugs when taken together raise the risk of developing life threatening complication CALLED AS SEROTONIN SYNDROME..So i reckon one of these two needs to be discontinued for good.

Kindly mention and discuss this with your prescribing doctor and stick to the timing strictly.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Postive rating if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards..
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You mentioned I was at risk for getting AS Serotonin Syndrome If the Sertraline were discontinuesd(currently I am taking 100mg) Could the Venlaflaxine ER be increased in dosage to make up for the mg of Sertraline lost I am currently taking 150 mg of Venlaflaxine ER For example could it be doubled to prevent depressionwhen the Sertraline is removed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I also forgot to mention I take 75 mg ofEffexor XR would this make any difference in the dosage of the VelaflaxineER or of the Effexor XR totals

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is Dr Kaushik available if not could you refer the last two questions to another Psychiatrist Thank you I added a !0.00 bonus for the additional questions

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I atttached two new questions to the botttom of the innitial reply
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.
Hello

If you are planning to stop Sertraline, the dose of Venlafaxine can be increased further by your doctor depending on the clinical response.

Both Venlafaxine ER and Effexor ER are the same medicines [ Effexor ER is the brand name of Venlafaxine ER.]

The usual dose range of Venlafaxine ER is from 75-225 mg per day and the maximum dose is 375 mg per day.

You are already taking 225 mg of Venlafaxine ER (150 + 75) so if you plan to taper down and stop Sertraline, either your doctor can further increase the dose of Venlafaxine ER by 37.5 mg / 75 mg or can consider the option of adding another antidepressant like Mirtazapine or Bupropion to augment the effect of Venlafaxine ER.

Since both Mirtazapine and Bupropion are not SSRI antidepressant like Sertraline so chances of Serotonin syndrome with the combination of Venlafaxine + Bupropion / Mirtazapine are none or minimal.

In my view, you should discuss with your doctor about replacing Sertraline with either Bupropion (if you have additional symptoms such as lack of concentration, fatigue, poor memory) or with Mirtazapine (if you have additional insomnia) instead of increasing the dose of Effexor further.

Please feel free to discuss further if you have any doubt / query regarding my suggestion.

Kind regards

Vikas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I forgot to mention that I also take 30mg of Temazepam to sleep with would this effect the anwer re: how much time to leave between the synthroid or also the choices of additional antidepressants

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.

Same rules apply to all the additional antidepressants and the Synthyroid as mentioned earlier by the previous psychiatrist.

Bupropion is an activating antidepressant so it should be taken in morning time or before evening to avoid insomnia.

Mirtazapine is a sedating antidepressant so it should be taken at night to get a good sleep.

Since both Mirtazapine and Temazepam are sedative so when taken together can cause significant sedation. If you are taking Temazepam for sleeping, your doctor can reduce the dose or taper down and stop Temazepam completely because Mirtazapine can control insomnia very effectively.

There is no special precaution required while taking Bupropion + other medicine with Temeazepam in my view.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your assistance

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome.

If you do not require further assistance,please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5 / smiley faces) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Please take a moment to rate the answer.

Kind regards

Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics