Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

As previously asked, on the advice of my doctor, I am reducing

As previously asked, on the advice of my doctor, I am reducing the use of ciprolex, from 20mg per day. I am in my second week of reduction,
and next week I will be down to 10 mg each day. At the end of the six week period, I will be off ciprolex altogether. Starting next week, can I
start taking Welbutrin and Abilify so there will be a gradual transfer from cipralex to another antidepressant? If so, what dosage of welbutrin and abilify do you recommend. Is there another anti depressant that you would recommend other than welbutrin and abilify?
Unfortunately, there are no psychatrists available in my area that I can consult.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.

Dr Vikas :

Hello

Dr Vikas :

Thank you for your question, I’m Dr. Vikas and I’ll try to help you.

Dr Vikas :

Wellbutrin can be started by your doctor right now also while you are taking Cipralex. Wellbutrin has totally different mechanism of action and it will augment the antidepressant effect of Cipralex. We frequently use this combination in many of our patients with excellent result.

Dr Vikas :

Similarly, Abilify can also be started by your doctor today itself.

Dr Vikas :

Wellbutrin is usually started as a 150 mg tablet ( Wellbutrin XL) once daily in morning. Your doctor can increase the dose to 300 mg once daily after 4-6 days if needed.

Dr Vikas :

Dose range of Abilify is from 15-30 mg per day. In elderly patients, usually a low dose is prescribed initially so your doctor can start with 7.5 mg tablet per day to be taken in the morning. The dose can be later increased after a week depending on the clinical response.

Dr Vikas :

In my view, you should discuss with your doctor about trying the combination of Cipralex with Wellbutrin first before start looking for another antidepressant.

Dr Vikas :

The other possible antidepressant in your case can be Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine) OR Cymbalta (Duloxetine).

Dr Vikas :

Please discuss with your doctor about my suggestions before trying any of them.

Dr Vikas :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service and I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking, if not, please let me know so that l can continue to help you. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

If you do not require further assistance,please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5 / smiley faces) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Please take a moment to rate the answer.

Kind regards

Vikas

Customer:

I am on 100mg of Trazodone at bedtime. Can I take 150 mg of Wellbutrin while taking

Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.