Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

whats the best therapy for an adult who was sexually abused

Customer Question

whats the best therapy for an adult who was sexually abused as a child and now having sexual disfunction?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The best treatment you could possible get is from a Certified Sex Therapist. Most of them are licensed mental health professionals who also have further training and national certification in Sex Therapy, which is NOT a hands on practice. They have great expertise in issues such as yours.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The best place to find such a professional is at the following website, where you click on your state on the map and bring up the list.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

AASECT - Member Directory

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If you cannot find one near you, then you can go to www.psychologytoday.com, enter your city and state, and then, when the list appears, further refine it on the left, under issues. Click sex therapy.

Customer:

Great, thank you for that bit of info....Do you have any idea what the chances are of fully recovering? without having to take mind altering psyche drugs?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

These people are professionals but they are not certified as are AASECT members.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Yes. You have suffered trauma, and the best therapy for trauma is not really psychotropic drugs but psychotherapy.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You CAN be helped to restore your confidence. This is a bit similar to PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder) and may be treated in a similar manner.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Let me also offer you some self-help workbooks which will familiarize you with the concepts and approaches to therapy which you can then use to take a more enlightened approach to getting help - and also to begin your own course of self-help.

Customer:

ok,r we done?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

no. More.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

A newer edition of the above book:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

and more

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

and one more which may address sexual issues more (though they all do)

Customer:

ok thank you again...now I know where to start...hv a great day

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I shall keep you in my prayers. You are very welcome.

Customer:

oh ok this is hard to follow...the answers I mean

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX been a blessing! I will order these books right away. I have just started nursing school and realize that I must face my issues! it is the first time since I was 15 that I haven't smoked weed to drown out the sounds and the smells from that horrible time and they are very loud and close up...thanks again...

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You are so welcome. Nurses are the BEST. :)

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You will benefit from this book as well:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You are having flashbacks and reliving memories and this book will help you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Best wishes,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott

Customer:

Thanks Elliott...by now

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Bye to you. You will be healed.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.