Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

I have an online friend who has been regularly sexually abused

I have an online friend who has been regularly sexually abused by her former foster caretakers when she was 12-13 years old. She is now 16, and I am trying to help her the best I can, but there is only so much I can do without any mental healthcare qualifications, so of course, I begged her to try and look for mental healthcare outside what little I can provide. She tells me that none of the healthcare professionals she's met so far are helping her or even comfortable for her to talk to.
I put forth an idea; maybe if she and I (online) can jointly see an online counselor together-I'd be there for moral support, at first, and then naturally it'd be just them- she would be able to get help effectively.
She's beginning to lose hope, and she's such a sweet and lovely person, I don't want to see this consume her. At the same time, I feel like a counselor or therapist, online or otherwise, can help her exponentially more than I can. Who can I talk to? Where can I start? Most importantly, how do I know if we're going to be seeing the right person?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Rafael M.T.Therapist replied 1 year ago.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am very sorry to know about this person's suffering and victimization.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Who are her current care takers since she is a minor?

Customer:

Her mother.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

She isn't aware of the abuse, right?

Customer:

No.

Customer:

She refuses to tell anyone but me.

Customer:

The foster caretakers who did this to her died in a car accident when she was 14, so she can't file a police report

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I do believe your idea of going with her to meed a psychotherapist is very sound, since it shows the support you could offer, allowing her to take this first step.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I see. There are different websites offering online counseling services, confidential services that could allow her to start working on her rehabilitation process, and it would be possible for you to participate if she consents to it.

Customer:

Yes, thank you! This is the information I was looking for.

Customer:

What are those websites?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Therapyhub.com , mentaline.com, liveperson.com, and there are many others, including websites exclusive of individual mental health practitioners, who could offer more than only text, or only phone support, including audio-video through Skype.

Customer:

Another question

Customer:

My friend is still living with her mother

Customer:

And her mother is unaware that she is recieveing this mental healthcare.

Customer:

How can she pay for these services?

Customer:

furthermore, how can we verify that these are licensed healthcare professionals?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am not aware of how the law handles this situation in your country. In the States and other countries parental consent is necessary for minors to get mental health services, but there are exceptions, like this one, where specific issues limit the child's ability to tell parents, but continues to require professional support, in such cases professionals could agree to provide assistance without parental consent.

Customer:

It's fine, she's in the UK.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

That's a real concern, since all professional counseling services online do require payment for support.

Customer:

I would pay if I could, honestly, but I need my money as much as the next person.

Customer:

I can't offer her the financial support she'd need for this.

Customer:

How does one pay per, say, package or appointment?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You can just use Google and look for information about the provider and it would not be hard to find out if they are truly qualified or not. But regardless of credentials, there are many bad professionals out there, thus the only way to know for sure is by carefully assessing their competence and support.

Customer:

Alright

Customer:

Any other helpful tips? Perhaps, words of encouragement for her?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

it depends on the website. Most of them require a per minute fee. Some online private practices do offer packages and are willing to discuss adjusting fees depending on the client's finances and ability to pay.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

She was a victim not a perpetrator, the nightmare ended long ago, and she doe not need nor deserve to keep suffering because of these perpetrators' actions, and for that t happen she needs to get professional psychological support. real relief and a new life are possible if she truly commits to work on healing with the right support.

Customer:

Those are inspirational words.

Customer:

Thanks very much for your time :)

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You're very welcome. Thank you for your trust and the support you provide to this person.

Customer:

I am only too happy to oblige.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I hope you could find the support she needs. Take good care.

Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience: MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach