Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

Etizolam and my other meds - are they ok together? I have panic

Etizolam and my other meds - are they ok together? I have panic disorder, GAD, and agoraphobia. They have been fairly well managed over the past four years with 40mg of Celexa daily and 15mg of Buspar twice daily. Perhaps once or twice a week my anxiety
really gets bad. I've been using 0.25 to 0.5 of Klonopin during those episodes. It works well but takes a while to take effect. Recently when I was overseas I was given a prescription for Etizolam 1mg sub-lingual. I don't think we have it in the US. I don't
see much information about it. I wanted to know if it is ok to take as a substitute for my Klonopin. Also, does 1mg of Etizolam = 0.5mg of Klonopin? Thank you!
Both Etizolam and Clonazepam are benzodiazepines with similar mechanism of action.
Etizolam is claimed to be less sedative and therefore can be prescribed in the morning time or in those patients who want to avoid sedation which is common with Clonazepam (Klonopin).
Etizolam 1 mg is roughly equivalent to .5 mg of Clonazepam.
A patient can take Etizolam with Celexa or Klonopin with Celexa for anxiety and he or she will notice the same effect theoretically.
I do agree with you that normal Klonopin tablet may take some time to show its effect but just like the sub-lingual preparation of Etizolam, Klonopin (Clonazepam) is also available as Klonopin wafers (orally disintegrating tablet.)
Therefore you can go for either Etizolam or ask your doctor to prescribe you Klonopin wafers / mouth dissolving preparation of Clonazepam. Both of them will bypass gastric metabolism and can bring quick relief in your anxiety symptoms.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service and I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking, if not, please let me know so that l can continue to help you. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation.
If you do not require further assistance,please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5 / smiley faces) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.
Please take a moment to rate the answer.
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. This is very helpful. I have one question of clarification. In your response you did not mention Buspar. I am taking Celexa and Buspar, thus it would be Etizolam plus Celexa and Buspar. Are there any unique issues or is it the same as other benzos?
You are most welcome.
Both Etizolam and Klonopin (Clonazepam) are Benzodiazepines and Buspar can be prescribed with any Benozodizepine including Etizolam or Clonazepam with more or less same effect.
A patient can take Celexa (Citalopram) with Buspar and Etizolam if his or her doctor has prescribed them to him.
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much. I forgot to ask one thing (last question I promise!). My psychiatrist has also prescribed 10mg of Inderal (propranolol) to take in advance of high anxiety situations to attenuate tachycardia. I am aware that with too much you could experience hypotension, but would there be anything different with Etizolam and Inderal compared to other benzos such as Klonopin?Thanks again. This has been the 5-star feedback I was seeking!
Thanks for your reply and please accept my apology for the delay in replying back.
A combination of any benzodiazepine like Etizolam with Propranolol is similar to a combination of Klonopin with Propranolol.
Kind regards