Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

My son is almost 6 years old and he goes to school. He is capable

My son is almost 6 years old and he goes to school. He is capable to read very well and decode letters and sentences very well, but when he reads a paragraph he's capable of reading it, however I have to explain it to him ore than once for him to understand it. Is this normal for his age?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 1 year ago.

Dr.Keane :

I can help you today.

Customer:

Hello, My son is almost 6 years old and he goes to school. He is capable to read very well and decode letters and sentences very well, but when he reads a paragraph he's capable of reading it, however I have to explain it to him ore than once for him to understand it. Is this normal for his age?

Dr.Keane :

I would not be worried about your son's comprehension skills. At his age he is more focused on decoding words and actually reading. Comprehending full paragraphs may not be part of his skill set yet. I would suggest that you let him read one or two sentences and then ask him about what he read, is there any connections he can make between the text and himself. For example: If he is reading about "Joe getting caught in the rain", helping him connect to the sentence by saying "remember the time we got caught in the rain" is one way he can learn strategies that will help. Learning how to comprehend reading material is something that some children do better than others and when young children are expending energy on decoding and reading words they get "lost" on the comprehension. It's just too much for their "brains" to handle. I hope this helps.

Customer:

This helps a lot. Thank you very much. I believe you are very correct, as he concentrates on decoding the words more than comprehension and asks why this word is written this way as opposed to another way.

Customer:

Sometimes though I would be reading the story and find he did not comprehend. I find it easier for him to understand when we read non-fiction books.

Dr.Keane :

I am glad this was helpful. Decoding is an important skill and if he is accomplished at decoding the comprehension will follow, give him some strategies as suggested above, something that will make him think about what he is reading rather than just reading words.

Dr.Keane :

He is exhibiting curiosity which is important in learning. If that's the case then I would encourage you to continue with reading non fiction.

Customer:

Great. thank you again very much for your help

Dr.Keane :

You are very welcome.

Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience: Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.