Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

What can I do when I have extreme anxiety and it causes me

What can I do when I have extreme anxiety and it causes me to feel ill and have a lack of appetite?

Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

I am sorry to learn about your condition and I empathize with you.

Well you see there are two approaches to deal with extreme anxiety --

1) If the anxiety occurs occasionally then what you can do is that you can get some Anti anxiety drug prescribed from your family doctor like klonopin ( clonazepam ) at dose of 0.5 mg and you can take 1 tablet of the same drug at times of such extreme anxiety episode.

2) But if your anxiety is persistent / on a regular basis or if it's episodes are increasing in severity and frequency then you shall have to get started on an anti depressant drug like Lexapro ( escitalopram) at dose of 10 mg in the morning once a day, to be taken continuously for at least 2-3 months for complete control over anxiety symptoms.

So both the approaches mentioned above are effective in controlling anxiety but you got to choose one of them after discussing them with your doctor , keeping in mind the presentation of your anxiety disorder.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will I be credited for my service.

If there is any further assistance needed please feel free to ask using the reply button.