Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

I know I get upset quickly, but it is like a switch that goes

I know I get upset quickly, but it is like a switch that goes off in my head, the smallest things sometimes annoy me, I always regret my actions afterwards and scare those around me. I want help but the last psychologist I saw made me angrier with statments like " you jusst want attention", "thers nothing wrong with you". I wouldnt have saught professional help if that were the case.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.

Dr Vikas :

Hello

Dr Vikas :

Some patients complain of discrete episodes of losing control over their anger or aggressive impulses, in some cases, these episodes can result in destruction of articles, property or physical aggression.

Dr Vikas :

are you also experiencing the same symptoms?

Dr Vikas :

I will wait for your reply so that we can discuss further.

Customer:

I don't break things, I threw a golf club at my own bag on Sunday, this has happened before, I yell at people for no reason or action from them and I know it is wrong at the time, I just can not stop once I started. They episodes only lasat for 30 seconds at most, then I feel overwhelming urges to end my life and think the world would be a better palce without me, but I never do because Im afraid of what people may say after Im gone.

Dr Vikas :

Thanks for your reply. Intermittent explosive disorder is a disorder in which patients complain of discrete episodes of losing control over their anger or aggressive impulses, in some cases, these episodes can result in destruction of articles, property or physical aggression. Patients often describe these symptoms as spells or attacks which appear within minutes or hours and regardless of duration, remit spontaneously and quickly.

Dr Vikas :

After each episode patients usually show genuine regret or self reproach and signs of generalized impassivity aggressiveness are absent between episodes

Customer:

So how can I get these emotions under control? I've been like this since I was a little boy.

Dr Vikas :

do you think that this description matches your symptoms.

Dr Vikas :

?

Customer:

Very much so

Dr Vikas :

Have you consulted a psychiatrist yet?

Dr Vikas :

In my view, Intermittent explosive disorder should be ruled out in your case.

Customer:

I did, through my family doctor, but I felt berated and was angrier than when I wnet in

Dr Vikas :

Medicines and or Psychotherapy can be very useful in your case.

Customer:

So what are my next steps to take?

Customer:

I really need help with this, its hurting those around me

Dr Vikas :

I guess, your next step should be to consult a psychiatrist once again and request him or her to screen you for the possibility of this disorder.

Customer:

IED?

Dr Vikas :

There are various medicines which can be useful. I personally use SSRI antidepressants like Fluoxetine with very good results in such patients.

Dr Vikas :

yes

Dr Vikas :

Most patients respond well to Fluoxetine (Prozac).

Dr Vikas :

In addition to medicines, you can also try Cognitive Behavior Therapy.

Dr Vikas :

If you find it difficult to go to a psychotherapist, you can try online CBT at your home for free also.

Dr Vikas :

via a website.

Dr Vikas :

I am giving you links to two such website for trying CBT at your home without going to a therapist.

Customer:

I'll try anything at this point thanks

Dr Vikas :

MoodGYM: Welcome

Dr Vikas :

:)

Dr Vikas :

you can also discuss with your family doctor about the usefulness of Fluoxetine in your case for the time being till you are able to see a psychiatrist.

Dr Vikas :

and start CBT as soon as possible.

Dr Vikas :

hopefully you will notice great improvement in your symptoms very soon.

Customer:

thanks you

Dr Vikas :

You are most welcome.

Dr Vikas :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service and I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking, if not, please let me know so that l can continue to help you. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

If you do not require further assistance,please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5 / smiley faces) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Please take a moment to rate the answer.

Kind regards

Vikas

Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics