Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

Hello. I started taking generic wellbutrin 150mg XL 1 week

Hello. I started taking generic wellbutrin 150mg XL 1 week ago. From the outset my depression has worsened daily. I started Zoloft 150mg 3 months ago when my MD felt it would help my depression. My psychiatrist felt Wellbutrin should be added, but now my depression is worse than when I started Zoloft. Is this common with Wellbutrin?

Dr Vikas :

Hello

Dr Vikas :

Wellbutrin is a very good antidepressant with totally different mechanism of action when compared to Zoloft.

Dr Vikas :

Patients may take some time to notice its effect may be a week or so but it does not cause worsening of depression.

Dr Vikas :

we frequently use this combination in many of our patients with excellent results.

Dr Vikas :

Wellbutrin not only augment the antidepressant effect of Zoloft but can also counteract some of its side effect like Sexual side effects if any in some patients.

Customer:

Is this indicative that this combination or the Wellbutrin is not effective for me. My depression and anxiety has definitely gotten much worse.

Dr Vikas :

no, it is too early to say that. As I mentioned before, Wellbutrin does not worsen depression or anxiety symptoms as seen clinically. You will notice a good improvement in your symptoms very shortly in my view.

Dr Vikas :

In almost every patients we have prescribed this combination, the result were always good.

Dr Vikas :

for controlling your anxiety symptoms, you can ask your doctor to prescribe you Clonazepam if you are not already taking it.

Dr Vikas :

Clonazepam is a benzodiazepine and can effectively control your symptoms for the time being.

Customer:

How long does it usually take for benefit to be seen?

Dr Vikas :

7-14 days in most cases.

Dr Vikas :

don't worry, you will notice good improvement very shortly.

Dr Vikas :

I have a lot of faith in this combination :)

Dr Vikas :

are you there?

Customer:

Does the anxiety typically taper off as the meds become more effective?

Dr Vikas :

yes, but as I mentioned earlier, you can ask your doctor to prescribe you Clonazepam if you are not already taking it. It can be taken on as and when needed basis also if not daily. In most cases, dose of .25 or .5 mg is sufficient.

Customer:

O.K. Thanks for the info.

Dr Vikas :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service and I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking, if not, please let me know so that l can continue to help you. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

If you do not require further assistance,please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5 / smiley faces) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Please take a moment to rate the answer.

Kind regards

Vikas