Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

I think I may be schizophrenic but not sure. I was diagnosed

Customer Question

I think I may be schizophrenic but not sure. I was diagnosed with ocd and add when I was younger but feel like I have some symptoms of schizophrenia. If I am and medication would help I would almost need to be forced to take it because I would forget to take pills and feel that would be better anyways. Is there a way I could get injections or help with that in a mandatory way if needed?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You say that you think you have symptoms of schizophrenia but you do not mention what they are

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The very nature of your concern, that you might forget to take your pills and would thus be forced to take them, is the type of concern that may be voice by a person who has obsessive thoughts.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It sounds as if your concerns are driven by OCD behavior.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Tell me what you think are your schizophrenic symptoms now that you are online.

Customer:

You are probably right about the concerns being driven by ocd behavior. Well I have noticed and some others have that I like to stay inside quite a bit and I don get nervous in social situations. Especially if I have to talk in front of a lot of people and hey are all looking at me. HAve also noticed sometimes I don't have as much fun with stuff that I used to but not sure if that is why or not. I have in the past had great worry or kind of delusion feelings but not so much at the moment.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

These are not symptoms of schizophrenia, but other anxiety behaviors. (Remember that OCD is an anxiety disorder).

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It seems that you have a bit of social phobia and/or some performance anxiety.

Customer:

It is kind of a relief hearing that I don't have schizo symptoms thought maybe I did. Over all after time my ocd compulsions have been a lot better so I wasn't sure if that was part of it or something else.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

This can be helped with a very mild and non-addictive medication called propanolol. It is a beta-blocker and in larger doses is used to control blood pressure and in small doses it is used for performance anxiety, often by actors, public speakers, singers, concert musicians, and so on.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Do you ever get panic attacks?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Rapid heartbeat, fear of dying, hard to catch your breath, sweating, etc.?

Customer:

No not really I have worry sometimes but never really attacks

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

That is excellent.

Customer:

I also thought maybe because I feel like my short term memory is getting worse. Sometimes I forget where I put something not even a half a minute after or less.

Customer:

Yes I am glad I don't get panic attacks I have seen them and they look scary

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Ask your physician if you could try some propranol (I spelled it incorrectly above). It is marketed here as Inderal.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propranolol

Customer:

ok thanks for your help

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Your short term memory may be part of the ADHD which can do that.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I wish you great success and shall keep you in my prayers.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Customer:

thanks again have a great day

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You too. :) You are very welcome.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.