Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

Dear Dr. Keane, First of all I read the blog, ended up analysing

Dear Dr. Keane, First of all I read the blog, ended up analysing myself a bit and really looking at my negative and positive self- talk. I also want to say that I am feeling better than what I was. I was just totally overwrought, tired and sad and plenty just really got to me that wouldn't under normal circumstances. I think I got a taste of what can happen when got to bottle up so many sad feelings for awhile due to circumstance and situation. Not that I am defending myself in anyway and feel totally terrible. Hadn't expected to start reacting to things so badly and not thinking things through properly. Anyway, After re-reading the article, then yes perhaps with some of the negative talk I re-enforce. I don't mean to. I think on the whole perfection thing I may have gotten over that. I mean I've always known I'm not perfect, just cannot always live up to other people's desires at times, but then maybe we're all a bit like that at times? I am trying hard not to let that get to me too much, though not always easy. I am getting a bit more confident in voicing my ideas and opinions, although sometimes it still surprises me that I do and that sometimes people actually take note of what I am saying and sometimes it is even followed through, although mostly I just find it nice and pleasing these days. I try and not think that I cannot do something and try to do things to see if they work out or not and try to take the chance. Quite a long time ago I stopped thinking I'm not enough in at least some of my professional life, still feel I need to in my home life. That's what I'd like to chat a bit about too if possible. Still sometimes struggle with my worthiness, worthiness and I know that is all nonsense and that if people didn't want to know me, then they wouldn't, but the fact is that they do and you do want to help where/when you can. I have got rid of a lot of the guilt I felt in the past. I have been re-employing the Stop technique recently for the negative self-talk. I find I had used it less and less but recently I've used it again from time to time. Something good happened today which reminded me that I am good at organising for people to come and speak on a subject and getting everything together, and just trying things out, had some success today :) Got sudden bit of confidence to apply for a particular job that may be of interest after also thinking a lot of what you have said before :) If we do not manage to chat about this then could I please know your thoughts? Thank you!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 1 year ago.

Dr.Keane :

Hi, sorry we are missing each other in chat. I am glad the link was helpful. Sometimes it's better to have something you can go back to and read when you are feeling less than confident. At this point much of your confidence is okay outside your home life and as we discussed earlier, you are ready to move out as soon as your financially can afford it. If you can use the Stop technique at home that would help. The point is really that you know it all, you have the tools and it's pretty normal to have moments of being unsure or less confident, if you were totally confident all the time, in every situation what would your goals be? Life is about questioning, learning and growing. Focus on what you can do well.

Customer:

Hi, that is quite a big question you have asked, nothing wrong with that, one I will need to think about as I have never considered that before.

Customer:

It is one, however that I would like to try to answer as it is an interesting question and sounds an important one.

Customer:

I mean I have thought about goals before but not in the way that you put it.

Customer:

I will get back to you as soon as I can on that.

Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience: Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.