Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

I have been on Cymbalta 30mg for 4 years and found out that I am now pregnant and my dr sw

I have been on Cymbalta 30mg for 4 years and found out that I am now pregnant and my dr switched me to 100mg of Setraline. 100mg was too much I just felt drugged. So he switched me to 25mg of setraline per day for a week and if it works to stick with it or else bump up to 50mg. I was just wandering am I gonna have a big slip into depression from only taking 25mg? The 100mg was just way way too much on my body.

Dr Vikas :

Hello

Dr Vikas :

I am Dr Vikas (M.D Psychiatry) and I’ll try to help you today.

Customer:

ok did you get my question

Dr Vikas :

The usual dose range of Sertarline is from 50-150 mg per day therefore 25 mg is a very low dose comparatively.

Dr Vikas :

yes, I got your question.

Dr Vikas :

In my view, the dose should be at least 50 mg per day.

Customer:

I am a born worry wort and I just don't like to feel drugged. I went on 100mg for 3 days and was just a zombie, today was the first day we changed to 25mg, so should I just start with 50mg a day?

Dr Vikas :

no, you can wait for few days and then increase it to minimize the side effect.

Dr Vikas :

I guess, 3-4 days waiting period should be sufficient.

Customer:

Ok I will. I just don't want to drop into a low depression, pregnancy is suppose to be an exciting time even though the hormones are nuts

Dr Vikas :

I can understand that. Don't worry, you will be fine.

Dr Vikas :

You can also try psychotherapy in addition to medicines

Dr Vikas :

specially Cognitive Behavior Therapy.

Customer:

there was just alot of questions that my dr just didn't seem to want to answer, mainly his point was switch or else. Talk about a lonely feeling.

Dr Vikas :

mood swings, sadness of mood are commonly reported by pregnant females and that is why I am recommending you CBT.

Customer:

What is cognitive behavior therapy?

Dr Vikas :

it is a type of psychotherapy, a talking therapy.

Dr Vikas :

I am giving you a link below

Dr Vikas :

to know more about CBT

Customer:

ok :-) thats is great :-) My mom and husband they really let me open up and talk I know they are not doctors but when I need to talk about my worries I tell them and my mom was on lexapro 40mg for depression so she knows whats going on by just comparing and remembering what she went through

Dr Vikas :

What is CBT?

Dr Vikas :

yes, it can be very useful in your case.

Dr Vikas :

and you can try free online CBT from your home only without going to a therapist.

Dr Vikas :

via this website Living Life To The Full

Customer:

Wonderful! Also sometimes I get on the internet and the results just scare the heck out of me what is seratonin syndrome?

Customer:

Am I gonna get that?

Dr Vikas :

Serotonin syndrome occurs due to excess of serotonin in the body. I don't think it is possible in your case :)

Dr Vikas :

right now

Dr Vikas :

it can occur when a patient is taking multiple antidepressant or very high doses of an antidepressant

Customer:

Ok my dr said stay off the internet, but I found this sight and honestly your calming my fears.

Dr Vikas :

or is on multiple medications affecting serotonin neurotransmitter

Dr Vikas :

:)

Customer:

ok so if my baby dr gives me zofran for my all day morning sickness will that affect my setraline?

Dr Vikas :

let me check the possible interaction

Customer:

thanks

Dr Vikas :

I don't think there are any significant interactions between these two medicines to the best of my knowledge but this does not necessarily mean no interactions exist

Dr Vikas :

your doctor should be aware of your taking these two medicines.

Customer:

Ok. Well I think that was all my questions mainly don't want to drop into depression and get seratonin syndrome.

Dr Vikas :

you can try CBT via that website

Dr Vikas :

you will definitely find it useful.

Customer:

ok I will. Thank you so much! Do I just exit and then rate you?

Dr Vikas :

you can see a button for rating this answer.

Customer:

yes

Dr Vikas :

ok, you can press it then.

Dr Vikas :

I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question

Customer:

Ok thank you again very much! Have a nice rest of the evening.

Dr Vikas :

You can Bookmark my profile by clicking this link.( http://www.justanswer.com/mental-health/expert-drvikas/ )

Dr Vikas :

take care

Dr Vikas :

bye