Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Im scared.......

I'm scared............back in October I had tummy pain due to a hernia and ended up having surgery to fix it. Now, I have something else wrong with my tummy and I'm scared to go to the doctor again. Tummy touch is the worst possible thing to me. How do I prepare and make it through a doctor's visit where I know tummy touch is for sure?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear Toes,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I am glad to hear from you, but not glad to hear that you have to go back to the doctor.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I know how scary this can be even without the tummy touch. You have a phobia of it and the best way to get rid of phobias is using a technique called Exposure and Response Prevention.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I though of a game that you can play that might help you prepare for this.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Get a toy doll of some sort to dress up as a doctor, and with your alters play at giving you a tummy exam with tummy touch. Maybe baby can say "I'm scared" and someone else plays the doctor and say, in a happy tone, "This won't hurt at all. Don't be scared.'

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Do this role-playing and it can get you psychologically prepared for what lies ahead.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I know that this sounds a bit silly and juvenile, but you are a good sport. I would do it myself and have a good time. I keep the inner child with me at all times. :)

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

A second thing that you can do is to ask the doctor, ahead of time, if he could give you an anxiety pill, such as Valium or Xanax, about 1/2 hour before the exam, so that you would lose a lot of the anxiety.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Finally, I would get hold of this workbook (available as a book mailed to your or on Kindle as well so you could get it loaded onto your computer minutes from now). It is a great workbook for working on anxiety and phobias and would prove very useful to you, I am sure.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

May prayers are with you all and I shall be thinking about you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Elliott

I'm sorry I was not online to chat with you. I appreciate the advice and will take it to heart. I will try this and see how it goes. Then, I will be sure to reply and let you know how things go.

Toes

My prayers are with you as always, Toes. IF you need me just let me know.

Elliott

Wink
Thank you and may God bless you. Elliott
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Elliott

Last Monday I went to the doctor and she had to touch my tummy. She thought it was another hernia and sent me back to the surgeon, who also had to touch my tummy. The surgeon agreed with my other doctor that it was probably another hernia and it needed repairing. However, he ordered an ultrasound of the area to check. I had the ultrasound on Friday. There was lots and lots of tummy touching then. Results of the ultrasound came back clear with no signs of a hernia. But my tummy still bumps out and so I will go back to the surgeon tomorrow morning to chat about what it could possibly be...............I'm scared. Scared of having even more tummy touch tomorrow. Baby was out for the appointments on Monday as well as the appointment Friday. I'm scared she won't let the doctor touch her tummy tomorrow because it's too much. What should I do?

Hi Toes,

Poor baby,

She takes this the hardest. You have been very courageous and I am so proud of you. If you drink a cup of catnip tea or chamomile tea before the session baby will be much happier. Also, give her a few pieces of her favorite candy (comfort food) and tell her that it will be alright and even though it seems worse than it really is, it will be over quickly and then you all can do something nice together, including getting another treat.

I am very delighted to hear that the ultrasound showed good results. Lots of people have those kinds of bumps that don't require surgery (me for example - LOL) :)

Tell baby that I shall be praying for you all that the tummy touches won't bother any of you one single bit. Believe in the power of prayer and positive thinking and you can always make things better.

Warmest regards to all,

You caring friend,

Elliott
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

cn weee tak?

Hi baby,

I am concerned about you that you have worried so much about the tummy touching. I know that it is no fun for either you nor toes, but if the doctor needs to check things out, and he has to do some touching in order to know EXACTLY what to do.

Try to be a big girl (I know you are still a baby, but you are such a smart one and try to be a good one all the time as well). It is hard when you dislike the tummy touching.

I suggested to toes that she give you some calming tea before the appointment and then to take you for a treat, no matter what. Even if you have a hard time, you need to try your best to make it easier for toes. Then you can have whatever treat you want.

I am praying for you, Baby. You are such a good little girl.

God bless you sweet girl.

You friend,

Elliott
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi Elliott

it's Toes. We had our appointment this morning. It went relatively well.... I don't like tea that much, so we didn't try that but we did bring along Baby's doll to help her. Kelley (the doll) is a huge comfort to Baby and even just knowing Kelley was with her was good, even though I wouldn't allow Baby to bring Kelley out. Baby was super scared. She didn't want the doctor touching her tummy, but I made her behave like a big girl and let the doctor touch. He basically told us that there doesn't seem to be any need for surgery at this time. He said he could feel something there but wasn't sure what it is. So, he told us to come back in 6 months unless something drastically changes between now and then. It was only after he left the room that I allowed Baby to cry. Did I do the right thing in forcing her to be big or should I have let her express herself and refuse the doctor's touch?

Dear Toes,

Congratulations. You did something that was positively and strongly therapeutic for all of you. You were able to use your own considerable will-power to hold back and control your powerful impulses. That was a great victory.

I am so happy to hear this and deeply appreciate you letting me know. Please give baby a big hug and tell her that she was great too in managing to work with you to make the examination smooth and successful.

The best news, of course, is that there nothing apparently there of a serious nature. God is with you.

I keep you in my prayers.

Warm regards,

Elliott