TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

my mother is constantly tired and she OKMH503211postanswer

Customer Question

my mother is constantly tired and she suffers from depression. She says that it is just old age but she will spend up to 8 hours lying on the bed. If she goes out and does one thing for the day it willtake her a whole day to recover.. she has no physical health problems..... she is just always tired

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

Tiredness can be a sign of depression. Everything feels like an effort because the depression drags you down. And if your mother has been cleared of any health problems that could be causing her tiredness, it is likely she is depressed.

Depression is also characterized by feelings of hopelessness and worthlessness, lack of motivation, thoughts of death and/or suicide and trouble concentrating. It is common to feel there is no hope and no way out.

If your mother has not tried therapy, she might want to at this point. Therapy is often one of the best ways to feel better. Medications are helpful to deal with the symptoms of depression but they do not get rid of them permanently. Therapy can do that for her. To have a better chance at finding a good therapist, ask her doctor for a referral. Or you can search on line at

She may also want to try medications. They are helpful to ease the symptoms but they do vary in their effectiveness so she might need to try a few different ones to see what works for her. Each person has their own body chemistry and what works for one may not work for another. Also, once she takes medication for a while, her body becomes accustomed to it and she either need an increase in dosage or she needs to try a new medication. But medications can help her deal with the tiredness until therapy helps.

Motivation is a very difficult symptom of depression. It often keeps people from helping themselves and reaching out to others. But support and self help are vital in helping to overcome depression. Consider support groups for your mother, either on line or in person. People who are experiencing the same symptoms as she is can offer invaluable support, ideas and companionship to help her feel better. Also, working on her depression at home can supplement her therapy or other treatment. Here are resources to help her get started:

Once she is able to reach out, she will start to feel better.

I hope this has helped you,

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank u for your information very helpful and u have given lots of support groups and websites to visit...
You are very welcome! Anyone with depression needs support in order to recover. And if she tries medication and therapy, she will probably feel much better.

If you are happy with my service, please rate my answer at least three or above. It is the only way I am paid for my work today. Thank you!