Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I have had really bad anxiety latley. OKMH53211

Customer Question

I have had really bad anxiety latley. At some points i think about what it woudl be like if i was not here still. Is there anything over the counter i can take for this or would have to go to a professional to get something

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 3 years ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It sounds to me that you may not just have anxiety, but depression as well. When you think about 'what it would be like if you were not here', that indicates depression, and not just anxiety.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

There are stressors in your life that you are having trouble dealing with that is causing you these negative thoughts. Something from over the counter might help you with lowering your negative feelings but would not deal with the cause(s) or stressors behind these feelings.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Over the counter, the most effective herbal remedy is St. John's Wort which does help some. Another is 5-HTP. Both are effective, but do not take them together.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I suggest that you might benefit from seeing a counselor or other therapist before you start on prescription drugs, to see if you can get to the source of your stress.

Customer :

I do take St. John

Customer :

at this time but was not sure how much it was helping

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If you are still having "suicidal" thoughts or feeling depressed and anxious, then you should talk to a professional, as St. John's Wort is the most effective non-prescription drug.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If you do decide to get a prescription drug, I recommend that you ask for Wellbutrin (bupropion) because it is one of the few antidepressants that do not cause weight gain and do not cause loss of libido (sexual desire).

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It is also prescribed for anxiety.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I hope that this information is helpful to you and I wish you great success.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

To that end I shall keep you in my prayers.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC