Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

what is the best medicine for anxiety brought on by guilt,

what is the best medicine for anxiety brought on by guilt, I am on Effexor but it seems to have raised my blood pressure? thank you

Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

I am sorry to learn about your condition and I empathize with you.

Well one of the best medicines for managing anxiety and guilt is Lexapro ( escitalopram ) which is not only effective against these two symptoms but is much faster in onset in it's action as compared to other drug including Effexor.

So you shall discuss this drug with your doctor and get started on it after coming off Effexor at dose of 10 mg ./ day to be taken as a single morning dose and after 2 weeks the dose shall be raised to 20 mg / day as per the need. This is the optimal dose of this drug at which it act at it's best.

Another alternative drug that can be tried is Zoloft ( sertraline ) at dose of 50 mg dose taken at bedtime. But still Lexapro is the best choice for your condition and requirements.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will I be credited for my service.

If there is any further assistance needed please feel free to ask using the reply button.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There was a 2nd question in my initial question, do you know if Effexor causes high blood pressure? What are the common side effects of Lexapro?

Thank you

Yes Effexor does lead to increased blood pressure in some of the users ( approximately 2%) , so you may actually form a part of this small population of users who do not tolerate Effexor well by developing hypertension.

The common side effects of Lexapro are -- Gastro-intestinal side effects such as indigestion , heartburn / acidity , constipation or diarrhea , sexual side effects like decreased sex drive , delayed ejaculation , insomnia. These side effects are reversible.

Although these are considered as some of the commonest side effects of lexapro but these side effects still occur only in some of the users and cannot be generalized for all the users. Also the fact that lexapro is one of the most prescribed anti depressant / anti anxiety agents world over should give you enough encouragement to give this drug a genuine try. These side effects are to be known only to help you to monitor the tolerability of your body system towards this drug and if at all need arises in the wake of development of any of these side effects you can consider coming off the drug.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.