Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

Schizophrenia Question?

I am doing a research paper and would like an intelligent answer. I posted a link below to an article about schizophrenia and sleep. Are they saying that sleep triggers some symptoms of schizophrenia in people who already have it and that getting enough sleep is important if you have this disease?

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/interactive/news/theme_news_detail.php?id=801488459

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 35 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am happy to help you with this.

Bill :

I have worked with patients with Schizophrenia for over 30 years and what they are trying to convey is that persons with schizophrenia MAY have symptoms of the disorder triggered by poor sleep patterns--which quite frankly is not news.

Bill :

They are also asserting that there is a possibility that sleep disturbances ( a separate issue from schizophrenia) may also lead to increased triggering of schizophrenic symptoms.

Bill :

None of this is fact at this point- only research speculation.

Bill :

It has long been known that persons with schizophrenia recurrent problems with sleep whether they be symptom related or side effects from medication.

Bill :

I see you have entered chat.......is there anything else I can help to clarify with this?

Bill :

And is true with all people- good sleep patterns mean better functioning.

Bill :

Here is another helpful resource for you:

Bill :

If there is anything else I can help with please respond and I will be most happy to reply.

Bill :

Kindest regards, Bill

Bill :

I appreciate your positive rating so that I receive credit for my time.

Bill :

There is no additional cost for follow up questions.

Bill :

Thank you.

Customer:

So do you think someone who just has insomnia issues faces the potential to get schizophrenia from sleep issues? I find that kind of hard to believe that insomnia could trigger such a mental illness.

Customer:

Or does the sleep problems trigger symptoms in people who would have already developed it?

Customer:

What I'm gathering from this article is that sleep disturbances can trigger symptoms in schizophrenia and may be a cause for these symptoms not just a consequence but sleep alone won't give some one schizo.

Anthony=
Not at all - that is what is confusing about the article because you can read that into it. In the article they say: " They believe sleep disturbances may actually be a cause of schizophrenia symptoms and not merely a consequence of them."

This is for people who are already diagnosed with Schizophrenia. Sleep disturbance may cause triggering of symptoms. This does not mean that someone with insomnia or any of the array of sleep disturbances is going to become Schizophrenic as a result.

The article is specific to those persons who already have Schizophrenic........as you suggested above in your second sentence.

I trust this clarifies the point.

Kind regards, Bill
Anthony-
As above- you are correct.

Kind regards, Bill
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Bill this all seems to make sense to me now. Last question before I complete my assignment. This article is trying to convey the same message as the other one, correct? There are just so many out there so it's confusing.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/11/121114134519.htm

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Also it's by the same scientist so I'm assuming its the same thing

Anthony-
You are again correct- as you will note- Dr. Bartsch is the same researcher addressing the same issue in the other article.

Kind regards, Bill
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bill last and final question to wrap up my paper. When you say "They are also asserting that there is a possibility that sleep disturbances ( a separate issue from schizophrenia) may also lead to increased triggering of schizophrenic symptoms" do you mean it triggers it in people who don't already have it or people who do have it but sleep triggers it? Sorry if I'm being repetitive like you said it's easy to read to deep into this topic.

Anthony-

These articles both pertain to triggering symptoms in people who have been diagnosed with Schizophrenia. Period.

I trust this helps and hope you get an A on your paper!

Kind regards,
Bill