RealSupport
RealSupport, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

I have a diagnosis of bipolar.

Customer Question

I have a diagnosis of bipolar. I am seeing a GP but she wants me to create a relationship with a psychiatrist locally to continue my meds. I haven't been able to do that. Is it possible to do meds with an online psych?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  RealSupport replied 3 years ago.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

JACUSTOMER-e9t88zf9- :

How public?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

%100 public, but if you want I can block such access for it not to be public at all.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

it will not allow anybody, including you to have access to it.

JACUSTOMER-e9t88zf9- :

I'm not planning to run for public office but I would prefer our conversation wasn't made public.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I truly understand that, that's why I start my response reminding customers about it, Happily there is a way to change that. Would that work for you?

JACUSTOMER-e9t88zf9- :

Yes

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Good. I will block it then.

JACUSTOMER-e9t88zf9- :

Ok

JACUSTOMER-e9t88zf9- :

Are you there?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am sorry to know you have not been able to find a good psychiatrist to support you yet. Unhappily it is not possible to get psychiatric medication online. You could find a local psychiatrist and after she-he assess you and starts supporting you face-to-face, they could continue to support you in case you happen to be stable without the need to be meeting them too often. But if you want to exclusively get medication online without first having met the doctor, it would not be possible because of ethical- legal requirements.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Yes, I am here.

JACUSTOMER-e9t88zf9- :

Ok. So hmm

JACUSTOMER-e9t88zf9- :

I just paid 34$.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Some psychiatrist do make new refills after talking with patients by the phone or online, but this happens after they have already known the patient, met them face-to-face and know their case, aware that they are stable and that it's not been too long since they evaluate-met with them face to face.

JACUSTOMER-e9t88zf9- :

I get that.

JACUSTOMER-e9t88zf9- :

I am taking Neurontin and Welbutrin with a little xanax

JACUSTOMER-e9t88zf9- :

My diagnosis, three docs, and tons of meds later, I know what helps me.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Psychiatric drugs are very powerful, and I do not recommend people to get them from a general family doctor but only from psychiatrists, who have the expertise to know how to treat patients with such drugs, just like women do look for an obstetrician-gynecologist doctor and not for a family doctor for female issues. Each medical condition require an expert for treatment and not a general doctor.

JACUSTOMER-e9t88zf9- :

I know.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I understand you, unhappily ethically and legally it is not possible for a psychiatrist to prescribe online without knowing you as a regular patient face-to-face first.

JACUSTOMER-e9t88zf9- :

This isn't really helping. You're just telling me what I already know.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Their professional boards, ethical codes and the law do not allow them to do so.

JACUSTOMER-e9t88zf9- :

k

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am sorry but your question was if it is possible to get meds online. My response to your questions is that it is impossible,

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

There is no other way I could respond to your question in this case.

JACUSTOMER-e9t88zf9- :

So, since I paid and you're up this late, is there something you can do for me?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I can request JustAnswer to refund what you paid. I have not received any money you paid but JustAnswer, and if you do not feel satisfied with thee service you can request a refund. I just tried to answer your question in a direct and objective way.

JACUSTOMER-e9t88zf9- :

Are you a psychiatrist?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

No, I am not, I am a psychotherapist.

JACUSTOMER-e9t88zf9- :

And you talk to people online.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Yes, I do,

JACUSTOMER-e9t88zf9- :

How do you help them?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Here at JustAnswer under this question-answer format.

JACUSTOMER-e9t88zf9- :

k

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Again, here at JustAnswer people post specific questions for expert to provide an answer based on their expertise. There are other websites where you can get confidential professional counseling.

JACUSTOMER-e9t88zf9- :

Well, I guess I was hoping for something else.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Again, your question was very specific, and that's why I replied in an objective way too. But no problem, I can request the website to refund you.

JACUSTOMER-e9t88zf9- :

Thanks

JACUSTOMER-e9t88zf9- :

Shit

JACUSTOMER-e9t88zf9- :

ok

JACUSTOMER-e9t88zf9- :

;0

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

No problem. Take care.

JACUSTOMER-e9t88zf9- :

Does the possibility exist to have an online relationship with a psychiatrist?