How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5805
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Right now my wife is suffering from severe paranoid dillusions

This answer was rated:

Right now my wife is suffering from severe paranoid dillusions that range from our neighbors spying on her with xray cameras to the government testing out new microwave weapons on her. Shes convinced that shes a victim of gang stalking, to the point that its alienated us from all our friends and all but a few of our family. She can no longer care for our children and so I have taken over both roles. She has been diagnosed as bipolor thru the VA years ago and has stopped taking her medicine. She is an alcoholic who is drinking again after years of being sober. She is abusing bath salts daily, and goes days without eating. I found out she has been secretly drugging our young daughters with benydryle so they would sleep longer. She told her family that i was out to get her and to not let me put her in the hospital.She refuses to admit she has a problem and instead accuses me of being "in on it". I need to know how to get her temporarily committed in texas, like what are the exact steps. And also is there any hope for her?

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.


If your wife is not willing to get help, it can be very frustrating. Getting someone to get treatment when they refuse is always difficult, especially when dealing with an adult that you have no control over. You want them to see the importance of taking care of themselves but for some reason, they refuse. It can be upsetting when you care about the person and they will not listen. You can see what they are going through, but they are not willing to address any of their own issues so they can recover. There is hope for your wife as long as she will follow through with treatment. But for the sake of your children, you may want to talk to a counselor with your children in order to cope with your wife's mental illness. You may also want to consider keeping them safe by making other housing arrangements until your wife is stable.


To file a 302, which is an legal document ordering an involuntary commitment for inpatient mental health treatment, you can contact your local ER. They will provide instructions on how to file the 302 and either have you transport your wife to the ER for an evaluation, or they will send the police to escort her if she is not willing to go. The person seeing the behavior must be the one to file. No one else can. Your wife would be committed for a period of time, usually 72 hours then her case would be re evaluated by the doctors and courts. They can either keep her for a longer time or release her for follow up with a local treatment center.


Here are some other resources to help you with ideas on how to help your wife:


I Am Not Sick I Don't Need Help: How to Help Someone with Mental Illness Accept Treatment-Xavier Amador.


You can also contact NAMI at for assistance for your family on how to handle your wife's situation.


I hope this has helped you,


TherapistMarryAnn and 4 other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The ER didnt have a clue what i was talking about. Is the 302 form the same in every state? The police said thy wouldnt do anything unless she harmed herself or someone else.

The ER should have known what an involuntary commitment is. If they do not, you might want to try another hospital or contact your local county mental health agency. You can find them through your local United Way. You may also want to take her to the VA for treatment since she was there before.

The procedure to commit someone is the same in every state. And since your wife was giving your children drugs and she is abusing drugs, you can say that she is putting your children's lives at risk as well as her own. Just the fact that she cannot care for herself should be enough to at least get her an evaluation.

Here is a guide to help:

TherapistMarryAnn and 4 other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you