Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Hello, I believe that my husband is suffering from paranoid

I believe that my husband is suffering from paranoid delusions and its affecting his job. This started about 2-3 years ago. He was living in Arizona and I was in West Virginia. I received a call late one night that he was in California b/c his brother and him were fighting and he heard his brother saying he was going to kill him. I was worried but didn't think too much of it, they've always had issues. So he's in California and yet again I get another phone call that he needs to come to West Virginia and that he couldn't talk about it until we were face to face. So he came and told me that he was at a restaurant with his uncle when a guy didn't like the way he was looking at his girlfriend and made a call to put a hit out on him. He was frantic at my aunts house constantly checking the locks and looking out the windows. Anywhere we would go he said that somehow they had followed him and they were going to kill him. We took off to my grandmothers house which was about 1 hr 30 mins away. He seemed somewhat relieved but then when we went to church with my grandparents he claimed that the people in the church didn't want to kill him but they were going to because they needed the money. I kept trying to reason with him, saying that I neither heard or saw any of these things he was claiming. He would get mad if I talked to loud saying they'd hear me and he didn't want me to get hurt because of me. I told him I didn't care that if this was really happening that at least we'd be together. He later got a phone call that a family member had passed and he left for North Carolina and a few month later I moved there with him. I knew he had been smoking a lot of marijuana at his brothers house and I knew his brother was just as paranoid so I chalked it up to withdraw and influence from his brother. Skip ahead about 8 months, we get married in Dec 2011 and in Feb he left for airforce bootcamp. The first day or so they are still able to keep a phone in a locker, maybe 40 mins after a phone call letting me know he had arrived at the bootcamp I received texts stating something was going on and that his instructor had it out for him and was plotting to jump him. He said he heard them discussing how to clean up all of the blood. I tried to explain to him that he may be misinterpreting the conversation and that it may just be hazing that they were planning. (my step-father is army so I've heard stories of hazing, nothing serious) he shot down those ideas and just kept on. A couple days pass and I hadn't heard from him so I figured it was ok. I then receive a phone call from the Airforce base infirmary, the woman explained to me that my husband had gathered his belongings and tried to leave. When a higher up warned him he continued on until they informed him he could go to jail. He stopped and they escorted him to the infirmary. All his belongings were taken including wedding ring and pictures and he had a supervising guard with him at all times. She asked me questions about his past and if this had happened before, I panicked and said no. she disagreed and said they were going to keep him for a little while. he had an option to stay in and receive help and if need be, they'd move him to another platoon if he felt uncomfortable in his old one, he refused and demanded he come home. I tried to reason with him, being that we're young and have no income or a home to live in and he needed to stay in. He refused and came home anyways. we ended up moving in with his grandparents in their half finished basement. we all insisted he go find help and he promised he would, but of course he didn't. claiming that all they'll do is drug him and he'll be a zombie. I tried to explain that it really helps, I had been to counseling often for my severe depression and anxiety and am doing much better thanks to it. he still wouldn't go. he finally found a decent job and we moved into our own apartment but of course the paranoia started up all over again claiming some elaborate plan of his supervisor, the manager and the district manager were plotting with other dock workers to kill him. he's skipped work many times, and its a struggle EVERY day to get him to go, often times I have to go with him to work and sit in the car for hours to be his "look out". even as I type this now i'm getting texts from him claiming something is about to happen and be prepared to call the cops if he doesn't respond in X amount of time. I'm at my wits end, I've been patient and as understanding to the best I can, but we may lose our apartment and bills are piling up b/c he just won't go to work. he's received a warning that if he misses one more day he will be terminated, but he doesn't care. I told him he can quit that job only when he finds another job. I'm getting scared that this is going to get worse. I've threatened to leave, put him in a mental ward, etc. he just gets angry and lashes out at me. What do I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You have been suffering a long time as a result of your husband's behavior.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It seems very apparent that he is mentally ill with a psychotic disorder, either Delusional Disorder, Persecutory Type, or if he also has hallucinations then he may have Schizophrenia, Paranoid Type.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

In either case he needs to be treated with psychiatric medications.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Because of the nature of his disorder, his unwarranted paranoia, it may be very difficult to get him to go for help. I imagine at this point he is in no way connected with the Air Force, who could have begun treatment.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You may have to talk to a local government attorney (like state or county district attorney) to draw up papers to have him forcibly committed for observation and treatment if he is a threat to himself or anyone else.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If you are married to him and care about him, then you should try to get him help. He seriously needs treatment/medication.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

My prayers are with the both of you and I wish you success in getting him the help he desperately needs.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I go about finding the right help for him? my other concern is our financial situation, is there a program or something can can help me with those things?

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I understand your deep and appropriate concern for your husband, who desperately needs psychiatric attention.

The very best resource search center is from United Way.

http://www.211.org/

2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more.

Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by going to the website
http://www.211.org/

Resources vary from locale to locale. This center is so important and effective that it was given the 2-1-1 number nationwide.

Please let me know if this information has been helpful.

I shall keep you in my prayers.

Warm regards,

Elliott