Ryan LCSW
Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist

RA-HL

Customer Question

I want to know if I am bipolar. I display a large number of the symptoms including:

Inflated self-esteem
Poor judgment
Racing thoughts
Agitation or irritation
Spending sprees or unwise financial choices
Increased drive to perform or achieve goals
Increased sex drive
Decreased need for sleep
Easily distracted
Frequent absences from work or school
Poor performance at work or school
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for your question.

Bipolar Disorder is most commonly characterized by drastic mood swings. If you feel like that also applies to you then it is certainly possible that you are dealing with Bipolar Disorder. The only way to know for sure would be to get a proper diagnosis from a mental health professional. However, I would be happy to send you a link to an online bipolar evaluation, and that may give you a much clearer indication if Bipolar Disorder is something you need to be concerned about. Would that be helpful to you?

Ryan
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I've taken a lot of online tests. Most indicate yes. I want to be properly diagnosed if I do have this. I can't talk to my parents about it, they don't believe in mental illnesses.

In order to be properly diagnosed you would have to schedule an appointment with a Psychiatrist or a Psychologist. Often times your normal doctor can make a referral for you or put you in touch with someone, however the only way to be properly diagnosed is to have a in-person evaluation completed. Most likely if you've taken many online tests and they all indicate that you have Bipolar Disorder, there is a high likelihood that you would receive this diagnosis if you were to be evaluated. However since there are a lot of symptoms that can seem like bipolar but may really be the result of other problems, it is important to sit down with a professional so that they can get a complete understanding of your particular situation. I hope I've been able to answer your question, and please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Ryan
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Relist: Other.
I was originally placed with a woman with a higher success rate and number of helped people.
Hi, I'm sorry to see that you rated my answer poorly, which will reflect on my permanent record here. I am certainly doing my best to provide you with the correct answer to your question, but perhaps I am not understanding your question properly. Can you please clarify what information you're looking for so that I can make sure I help you out? Thanks,

Ryan
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Sorry, it's stressful. Theres no way to get help. I can't talk to my parents and I can't afford to pay myself. It was 25 today for nothing (sorry, it was my fault, not yours). Is there a way to find help for someone like me?

That's ok, I certainly want to help and I'm sorry if this wasn't the answer you were hoping for. If you have health insurance there is a good chance that it will cover the cost of an evaluation and counseling services, but if you are on your parent's health insurance that may require a conversation with them about it.

If that's not an option and money is a problem, one of the resources out there is the United Way, which you can contact toll free by dialing #211. They tend to be the best resource to find free or low-cost mental health services that are local to your area. As long as you are an adult, that would be one of your best options to access affordable/free services confidentially. I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX information is helpful, and if there is anything else I can do to help please let me know.

Ryan
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Will I have to take medication?

Often times people who are diagnosed with Bipolar find that a mood stabilizing medication helps greatly. There are certainly people who can't/won't or prefer not to take medication, and are able to learn techniques through counseling that helps them to control their mood swings and some of the problematic symptoms. It really depends on your particular situation and how severe the problems are that it is causing you. You can certainly start with counseling and then decide later on if you feel like a medication would help you out, or you can start with the medication and see if that makes a different on it's own. In general studies show that people with these types of problems respond best to the combination of medication and counseling, so that is typically the way to approach Bipolar Disorder in the way that would make the most significant improvements in the shortest amount of time.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

What happens if I leave it alone. I also have exhibited

• Sadness

• Hopelessness

• Suicidal thoughts or behavior

• Anxiety

• Guilt

• Sleep problems

• Low appetite or increased appetite

• Fatigue

• Problems concentrating

• Irritability

I had eating disorders when I was sixteen (I'm 22). I've been anorexic (110 pounds, 5ft 7in) and bulimic. I've also bee a self injurer including methods such as cutting, burning, pinching, scratching, and extensive bruising. The worst I've been capable of is a few 3rd degree burns. Including an instance when I cut my leg open, filled the wound with hand sanitizer, and set it on fire.

I haven't self injured in over a month, and 3 months before a 2 week relapse in May. But I have suffered an intensifying sex drive. I'm a virgin in a VERY conservative Christian home. I've never had sexual thoguhts before. In the last few months I've had my first kiss, which have been both innocent and sensual, and have watched porn. I also started masturbating.

I'm not sure what to do.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
I'm showing a lot of signs of bipolar disorder. What happens if I leave it alone? I have exhibited

Euphoria

Stuttering

Inflated self-esteem

Poor judgment

Racing thoughts

Agitation or irritation

Risky behavior

Increased sex drive

Decreased need for sleep

Easily distracted

Frequent absences from work or school

Poor performance at work or school

Sadness

Hopelessness

Suicidal thoughts or behavior

Anxiety

Guilt

Sleep problems

Low appetite or increased appetite

Fatigue

Problems concentrating

Irritability

I'm not sure what to do.