Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

Hi Ive been suffering with anxiety on and off for as long

Customer Question

I've been suffering with anxiety on and off for as long as I can remember

Last episode got so bad I couldn't leave my house without my son with me

Now it has started again - triggered by the fact my financial situation forces me to look for a full time job

I'm a single parent and have no family around

I have severe anxiety over the possible thought of returning to Sweden - I just can't see myself there
I feel safer here than there though I'd get more family support

I panic when I think about full time job and for someone else to care those special moments with my son

What can I do!?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 3 years ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You are suffering from Panic Disorder with Agoraphobia, most likely. Agoraphobia often accompanies panic attack and it is a fear of going out so that you are not compromised or helpless or embarrassed if you have an attack while away from the safety of your home.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

These attacks can be treated with medication very successfully FOR THE SHORT TERM.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

However, you must come to terms with your situation.

JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : I've been on lots of different med
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You say that you feel safer in the UK than in Sweden, but you have more family support for your son in Sweden.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

What meds?

JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : Im currently taking sertraline 100mg but this has been reduced from 200mg gradually over the past 6 months
JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : All in all this round I've been taking med for 2,5 years
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Sertraline is alright for general anxiety even though it is an antidepressant. If you want to get instant relief from panic you need a benzodiazepine, most likely alprazolam. However this is something you should only take AS NEEDED when you feel these attacks coming on.

JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : Yes safer here away from family which is weird I know - but I get super stressed thinking about living there
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You get super-stressed in UK as well and have no support group. Which is worse do you think?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

What is your biggest concern? Having someone trustworthy or familiar with your son or staying in UK?

JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : I don't know
JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : They are both bad
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Why do you feel unsafe in Sweden?

JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : The other thing is I know it's harder for me to get any kind of job there as my job is quite specific
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

And how old is your son?

JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : He is 3,5 and amazing
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Could you work that specific job in Sweden as a UK representative? Can you say what the job is?

JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : So many bad experiences in the past
JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : An interfering mum
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

3.5 is a wonderful age, but he needs close family.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

And do you have any supportive siblings, aunt, cousins, grandmother, etc.?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Close friends?

JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : I am a desktop publisher operator and my job is a rare thing more so over there
JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : My brother don't speak to me - he can't stand me
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

And you can open some doors in Sweden and take your skills with you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

How about some family or friends that love you?

JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : My sister is ok in small doses and then we fall out we are very different
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Would she help you?

JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : She has 3 kids of her own and just married a party guy so I think she would ask me for help with babysitting and I can't say no
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Can you help her and she help you? Can you do your desktop publishing from long-distance?

JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : I have one friend left in Sweden - my sons godmother but she is v popular and busy with her newly adopted son
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Have you spoke with her about your situation?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Could you work together somehow?

JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : I can do it from home but it's rare banks and other firms prefers us on site and london is the heart for this type of business
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

They prefer it but could you still do it?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You do not have a full-time job now.

JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : Yes I have mentioned it a few times but before I had my son I took her oldest all the time. She stayed with me a lot
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

That could be a strong possibility that you should investigate

JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : Not really unless I change back to my previous career as supervisor but I don't think so
JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : I don't know what else I'm good at and I want to stay here
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You have to set your priorities. I'm sure that your son comes first.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Friends in London?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Your son's father?

JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : Not if I could choose uk or Sweden - uk will always go first
JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : I have friends but we were forced to move from west london when the benefits were cut we are 1hr + away niw
JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : My sons father lives in Portugal but we are friends he has no money to support us He is very sick with bipolar
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If you get a full-time job do you have care for your son? That is probably very possible in London. (I used to live in Islington and Oval).

JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : I miss his dad too but I can't see myself working full time ever
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

What do you see as your best option, then your second best, and then your third best?

JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : Wgen I over work I get so sick then go on leave for a ling tine it's reoccurant
JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : I have nursery then he would need childminder
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Can you survive part time?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

What are your living arrangements now?

JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : Now he goes three full days a nd 2 half days 10-4
JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : No we are currently on minus every week - I'm financially strained from all corners
JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : Rent privately
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

By yourself or with flatmates?

JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : I am trying to find more benefit means but not sure where to go and see for more
JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : Ourselves
JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : But we live in a shared house
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Are you with people who can share tasks - i.e. other mothers?

JACUSTOMER-5kxv1xnj- : Sorry I don't feel you are helping
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I have spent an hour of my professional work time with you giving you lots of suggestions and listening to your problems. I did NOT give you poor service and do not deserve to be receive the brunt of your frustration and anger. i am still willing to work with you if you wish.