RealSupport
RealSupport, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

I think I have been abused sexually as a young child but have

I think I have been abused sexually as a young child but have no memories do you have any advice as to how I may be able to recall these memories, I have been getting body memories as well

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

i am sorry to know about this situation.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Could you tell me more about this somatic memories you experience, and clarify if you do have or not other memories of such episodes?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

There are different forms of therapeutic support you could get in order to explore yourself, past experiences and find out the nature of these memories you have been experiencing.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

The best therapeutic approach you could get in my opinion would be implemented by an integral psychotherapist, with expertise in somatic psychology and hypnotherapy, and experience in abuse and trauma related issues. Since you state you have these somatic memories, to work on that level with a professional with this broad expertise, could be the best approach to identify any potential episodes of abuse, reducing chances for creating false memories, so common when the professional is not well qualified and experienced working with repressed memories.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Does it make sense?

Customer:

yes it makes sense, the somatic memories i experience the last one I felt was about two years ago now, it felt like feelings of heaviness all over my body,

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Thank you for replying. Then I truly believe this type of professional could provide the best possible support.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

it is not uncommon for people who suffered of experience of abuse during childhood to repress them as a way to protect themselves from feeling overwhelmed by the impact such memories could bring, if they happen to be accessible through conscious awareness. The problem is that repression does not equal health and well-being, just not knowing what happened and how it's been affecting our lives.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

At the same time it is very important to be careful getting a competent and experienced professional, since false memories could be literally inoculated - implanted, if the professional does not have adequate education, training and experience in these areas.

Customer:

ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX done research on hypnotherapy do you recommend this ?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I do recommend hypnotherapy but only as long as it's implemented by a mental health professional and psychotherapist/hypnotherapist, meaning a professional with a master or doctoral degree in psychology or psychotherapy, but not by a person who just got a certificate in hypnosis without being a mental health professional, nor without enough expertise and experience in these areas.)In the states there are many institutions offering brief courses in hypnosis, and certificates of completion, to anybody who complies with their requirements, from a student to anybody without any education-understanding about psychology or mental health. I do not recommend support from people missing adequate professional education-credentials).

Customer:

i understand

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Good. Please if you have any further questions, do not hesitate to contact me, since I am here to support you.

Customer:

thank you,

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You're very welcome.

Customer:

i feel like i will never remember

Customer:

even though in the past my behavior was really acting out sexually

Customer:

i know that something did happen

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

If something happened, you can be sure it is recorded in your psyche-brain. Ce could forget about many of our experiences, their details, because of many reasons, but it does not mean they disappear. Like with a computer hard drive, every information without exception remains there, and if we get the means to access it, we would know what happened for sure.

Customer:

yes you are right, i know it is in my psyche-brain because of my acting out behaviors, you are right we can forget but they do not disappear, this makes me feel hopeful,

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Then such behaviors are consistent with some typical effects from past sexual abuse. Thus it seems necessary and worthy to work on finding out in order to take better care of yourself.

Customer:

yes

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Your psyche and body do keep records of everything, be sure of that.

Customer:

yes, and i know that my body has all the answers

Customer:

but its the integration that must happen

Customer:

confronting my shadow early childhood to give them a voice

Customer:

parts

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

absolutely, and it is easy to fool the mind, but it's not easy to fool the body, that's why somatic psychology-psychotherapy as part of an integral therapeutic approach could be that helpful and powerful.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You bet.

Customer:

ok i will take your advice thank you so much