Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

I am presently taking 20mg of Cipralex daily, and I am still

I am presently taking 20mg of Cipralex daily, and I am still depressed. I talked to my
doctor, and he has put me on a schedule of decreasing the daily intake over a six week
period. After six weeks, I will be totally off Cipralex. Is there another drug that I can start taking (like Abilify or Celexa) starting the third week of tapering off Cipralex? This will transition my anti depressent so that I won't have to wait for the new drug to take effect.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

I am sorry to learn about your condition and I empathize with you.

Well, cross titration that is introducing a new drug while withdrawing other drug on the other hand is a good effective way to switch over from one drug to another without wasting any time. However none of the drugs that you have mentioned here will do justice to your depression after having used cipralex , reason being abilify is mainly an anti psychotic drug with not so effective anti depressant properties , it is only used in addition to a chief anti depressant as an augmenting agent to boost recovery , so alone it is unlikely to produce any astonishing effects on your depression.

Secondly, celexa is a similar drug to cipralex as far as chemical composition goes , slightly less potent than cipralex with more side effects. More over owing to the previous use of cipralex , you may have developed cross- tolerance against celexa which will make it ineffective.

So what I suggest is that you ask your doctor to introduce either one of these two drugs in the 3rd week of cipralex withdrawal which are -- Wellbutrin XL /Zyban ( bupropion extended release ) at dose of 150-300 mg ,OR, Remeron ( mirtazapine ) at dose of 15-45 mg / day.

Either of these two drugs will be capable to uplift your depression more so because they are different class drugs which will act in your system as a new drug to which your body is more likely to respond.

So I reckon you discuss this with your doctor and ask him to choose any one of these drugs to replace cipralex during cross-titration.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will I be credited for my service.

If there is any further assistance needed please feel free to ask using the reply button.

Regards..

Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry