Penny Rayas, MFT
Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience:  I have 20 years experience in the mental health field
59700337

How to help my 19 year old function. Stays in his room all

How to help my 19 year old function. Stays in his room all day. Up at night,sleeps all day. Has been diagnosed with ADHD, Expressive language delay, auditory processsing disorder,anxiety, depression. Had IEP. During his school years. Sent him to Wilderness camp at 16 yrs. for drug abuse. Then off to a Private Boarding School for truancy. Returned home and attained his GED. A very thorough Psychological assessment revealed a possible ASD, high functioning.
Has been fired from 3 jobs. Quit community college. Does have short term memory issues. Refuses any counseling or meds. He says they never helped him. Feel he's "shut down" again. He doesn't feel any success in his life. Has one good friend. Suffers socially. Has a wonderful girlfriend and in good health. Has stopped using illegal drugs for past 2yrs. What's a parent to do to help him engage with goals/work.

pennyrayasMFT :

Hello there how are you today.

pennyrayasMFT :

I am sorry about your son

pennyrayasMFT :

Did you think he did better when he was on medication for ADHD?

pennyrayasMFT :

I have worked with children who had ADHD an High functioning autism

pennyrayasMFT :

I wonder if his girlfriend can be a good influence

pennyrayasMFT :

on getting him back on medication

pennyrayasMFT :

We learned from several studies that young adults with untreated ADHD are not able to do well at school or keep jobs

pennyrayasMFT :

they are also more likely to use drugs

pennyrayasMFT :

I don't he did not think the medication and therapy help

pennyrayasMFT :

but I bet when you look at the functioning level he was able to fucus on medication and preform better at school and in his job

Customer:

Absolutely! Would love for him to return to Psychiatrist for medication. He doesn't sany the use for these meds. Frustrating!,

Customer:

He previously struggled with substance abuse. Know that he's been clean. He chews tobacco. Was working out at the gym. And recently quit that activity. He tells me he's unhappy and doesn't seem to have any short or long term goals. He just can't get going! Will employ help from his girlfriend. She's an overachiever! He has always said that all the meds made him feel "bad". Felt he did the best on Wellbutrin.

pennyrayasMFT :

I think there are new medications that are so much better developed in the last few years. Wellbutrin helps about 1 out 4 of the people that have ADHD and helps with depression, so I find that most of my clients who do well on it will always do well on it. There are many other medications that also help. Therapy is great. If he finds someone he can trust to help him because now he is a adult he can change because he wants a better life. I think you son can get better fast with some help. Many good books about adult ADHD. There is a book I like writen by adult who has ADHD. Is it you or me of adult ADHD?

pennyrayasMFT :

IF I have help please rate my services. I strive to give the best service posible.

pennyrayasMFT :

I think an intervention with all the family telling him how they feel and how they love him and want to help can change his mind

pennyrayasMFT :

get some friends and his girlfriend together

pennyrayasMFT :

and have an intervention