Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt
19260254

i AM 77 YEARS OLD. eVERY DECISION I MADE IN MY LIFE HAS TURNED

i AM 77 YEARS OLD. eVERY DECISION I MADE IN MY LIFE HAS TURNED OUT BADLY. AS A RESULT I STARTED DRINKING, SPIRALLING INTO DEEP DEPRESSION AND GAINING WEIGHT WHICH MAKES ME MORE DEPRESSED. i LOST ALL INEREST IN LIFE, HAVE NO FRIENDS AND ONE SON WHO HAS PROBLEMS OF HIS OWN WITHOUT ME CONTRIBUTING. wHERE DO I START TO TRY TO STRAIGHTEN MYSELF OUT. I HAVE BEEN DEPRESSED ALL MY LIFE AND HAVE ALWAYS BEEN ABANDONED BY HUSBANDS AND BOYFRIENDS.
WHERE DO I START? WITH AA OR A PSYCHIATRIST? I DO FEEL SUICIDAL BUT BECAUSE I HAVE A CAT I WOULD NEVER ABANDON, I AM STILL ALIVEL.

You probably know that alcohol is a depressant and that it is making your depression worse. You can be helped since you seem to want the help. That generally is the first step and your desire and willingness to get the help would be quite essential.

As far as where you start hence forth, it would be helpful to connect with a therapist and a psychiatrist (possibly at the same practice) Or, your GP may prescribe some medication but they ought to be knowledgeable about the different antidepressants and what dosage may be appropriate for moderate to severe depression.

You've tried Lexapro and Paxil which have more of an antianxiety effect. There are other medications besides such that work on the serotonin levels. Wellbutrin and Zoloft may be other options.
Zoloft had been known to be used for individuals also suffering from PTSD.
And the AA option you mentioned seems a good place to connect with others, get a sponsor and find a reason to get out of the house and redirect your attention from these thoughts that you're having to some other things.