Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

Do I have A.D.D.? Everytime I am talking with someone I lose

Customer Question

Do I have A.D.D.? Everytime I am talking with someone I lose track of what I'm saying, as I am saying it, within two to three seconds. I make so many careless mistakes because I feel mentally exhausted thinking for to long (less than minute). I can never concentrate on anything, if I have too complete something it will take me hours because I lose track and think/do other things. My grades have dropped dramatically (this all happened over 7 years ago, and still remains, I'm 19 now). I can't sit still, always fidgeting and moving around. Also doing things that people tell me not to, as an impulse. I often leave class because I need to move. I also have a constant pressure that I feel in my head, don't know what causes it. Started about a year and a half ago. During one of my classes, I got an adrenaline rush, and it felt as though my mind opened up, and I got every question right in a few seconds. I also procrastinate a lot. I do I put an ebbs to this?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.

Dr Vikas :

Hello

Dr Vikas :

Hello ! Thank you for your question, I’m Dr. Vikas and I’ll try to help you.

Dr Vikas :

Is it possible for you to try a online screening quiz for A.D.H.D and let me know about your score so that we can discuss further.

Dr Vikas :

There is a longer version in the same ling if you would like to try it also.

Customer:

I got a score of 23

Dr Vikas :

Thanks for trying the quiz. On the basis of this score, I guess, you may be right and there is a possibility that you are suffering from A.D.H.D.

Dr Vikas :

According to the diagnostic criteria for Adult A.D.H.D,

Dr Vikas :

II. Adult characteristics: five additional symptoms, including ongoing difficulties with inattentiveness and hyperactivity and at least three other symptoms:
A. Inattentiveness
B. Hyperactivity
C. Mood lability
D. Irritability and hot temper
E. Impaired stress tolerance
F. Disorganization
G. Impulsivity
Dr Vikas :

also ADHD is a possibility.

Dr Vikas :

So just ask your doctor to scree you fully to rule out A.D.H.D. For treating ADHD there are various medicines available like Atomoxetine which can be useful in your case if it is indeed A.D.H.D you are suffering from.

Dr Vikas :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service and I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking, if not, please let me know so that l can continue to help you. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

If you do not require further assistance,please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5 / smiley faces) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Please take a moment to rate the answer.

Kind regards

Vikas

Customer:

Thank you. Sorry to ask more questions, but, do I all my primary care physician to screen me? She did give me a referral for a psychiatrist but the appointment is in 3 months. It is to far away. I live in brooklyn, and she gave me an appointment within a hospital.

Customer:

Too far in terms of time.

Dr Vikas :

Well, a Psychiatrist is a better person to screen you for A.D.H.D.

Dr Vikas :

Psychiatrists are trained in this.

Dr Vikas :

You can ask as many questions as you like :)

Dr Vikas :

In the mean while, you can discuss with your primary care Physician about trying Atomoxetine or an antidepressant Bupropion.

Dr Vikas :

Atomextine is among the first line medicine for A.D.H.D while Bupropion (Wellbutrin) is an antidepressant but can be useful for A.D.H.D symptoms.

Dr Vikas :

of course, you can take the online screening quiz to your primary care physician also.

Dr Vikas :

online screening quiz score :)

Dr Vikas :

are you online right now/

Customer:

Yes I am

Customer:

Alright, but I have taken Prozac and it didn't help much, and how do I give her my online scores? Just print out the results of the quiz you asked me to take?

Dr Vikas :

Prozac is not effective for A.D.H.D but Wellbutrin is

Dr Vikas :

and yes, you can take the printed result to your doctor

Dr Vikas :

Wellbutrin is a second line medicine for A.D.H.D symptoms and specially useful in patients complaining of lack of attention and concentration.

Customer:

Ok I'll do that. And you are sure it will help with concentration and attention. Sorry I'm a but skeptical. Also what about the pressure in my head? I have anxiety problems add well, and had Fibromyalgia like symptoms before (went away last month after a long time) the anxiety and Fibromyalgia symptoms occurred after the A.D.D like symptoms.

Dr Vikas :

yes, it will definitely help in improving attention and concentration.

Dr Vikas :

Bupropion is not very useful for anxiety symptoms and for that a SSRI antidepressant like Prozac is more useful.

Dr Vikas :

your doctor can combine Prozac with Bupropion.

Dr Vikas :

For Fibromyalgia, a SNRI antidepressant like Duloxetine or Venlafaxine is a better option.

Dr Vikas :

Venlafaxine is also a option for A.D.H.D, so it can be useful for anxiety, fibromyalgia, and anxiety too.

Customer:

Thank you. But I don't think I need the fibro medication because I no longer have the symptoms of it anymore.

Dr Vikas :

ok, in that case, just discuss with your doctor about Bupropion.

Customer:

Ok, but Bupropion is an anti-depressant, just curious of how much different it is from Prozac

Dr Vikas :

both of different mechanism of action. Bupropion mainly acts on Dopamine while Prozac acts on serotonin neurotransmitter.

Dr Vikas :

Bupropion is specially useful in patients complaining of lack of attention and concentration.

Customer:

Oh ok thank you very much

Dr Vikas :

most welcome.

Customer:

And this would help with the pressure in my head?

Dr Vikas :

antidepressants are usually helpful for this symptom and Bupropion is an antidepressant too.

Customer:

If I rate this question I will be unable to ask more questions on this right?

Customer:

Anyway thanks so much, 5 stars :)

Dr Vikas :

most welcome.

Dr Vikas :

I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. You can Bookmark my profile link in your browser.
( http://www.justanswer.com/mental-health/expert-drvikas/ )

Customer:

I will, and again thanks

Dr Vikas :

thanks a lot.

Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I forgot one more thing, my eyes keep going in and out of focus, I have to blink and concentrate on what I'm looking at to see clearly again. It happens occasionally.

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.
Hassan,

It may be happening because of your low ability to focus and concentrate. Don't worry, you will notice improvement in this symptom also with the appropriate treatment.

Regards

Vikas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Last thing, sorry, I have been searching the internet on highest rated ADHD medications and two medicines called Adderall and Ritalin have been highly recommended. Are they good?

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.
Hello Hassan,

Yes, Adderall and Ritalin are also the first line medicine for treating A.D.H.D. In addition to Atomoxetine, you can discuss with your doctor about these two medicines also.

Regards

Vikas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm really sorry, but last time. Is my general physician allowed to prescribe me adderall, ritalin or atomoxetine? Because I don't want to ask her and get her upset our something.

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.
Hassan,

I am not very sure of this. You have to ask him or her about this.

You will be taking your A.D.H.D score sheet along with you and he or she will understand that you may require these medicines to get better.

Regards

Vikas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you again, I took the longer version as well

You scored a total of 51

Inattention Subscale: 27

Hyperactivity/Impulsivity Subscale: 24

S C O R I N G K E Y

If you scored...You may have...
36 & up
17 - 35
12 - 16
8 - 11
0 - 7
Adult ADHD
Moderate ADHD
Mild ADHD
Possible ADHD
No ADHD likely

Subscales:
19 & Up - High
12 - 18 - Moderate
0 - 11 - Low
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.
Hassan,

This score is also indicating of A.D.H.D and you should be definitely screened fully to rule out ADHD by your doctor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I talked with me PCP she said no to medication, until I get diagnosed. Do you know of any Psychiatrist that would prescribe the medication in the NYC area without the diagnosis? I have exams in 3 weeks and I don't want to end up failing them.

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.
Hassan,

I will not be able to help in this. I don't think any psychiatrist can prescribe you medicine without diagnosis.

But don't worry, you will not fail in your exam simply because you are not on A.D.H.D medicines. Just try your best to study and you will surely pass.