Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

I have spoken with a psychiatrist before and he told me I was

I have spoken with a psychiatrist before and he told me I was co-dependent on people. He said I had to love myself in order to get better. He prescribed me with an anti-depressant called citolopran and i've been taking it for a month now. I do not feel a change in my thoughts or my mood. Can you please tell me what i can do? should I take another medication?

Dr Vikas :

Hello

Dr Vikas :

It appears to me that you are offline right now. We can discuss further once you are online again.

Customer:

Hello i

Customer:

Im online are you available?

Dr Vikas :

Hello

Customer:

Hi

Customer:

I could not find the answer to my question

Dr Vikas :

I have gone through your question and in my view, in addition to medicines Psychotherapy specially Cognitive Behavior Therapy can be a very useful option in your case.

Dr Vikas :

Have you ever tried CBT?

Customer:

I heard of that type of therapy. But, I have not tried that yet

Dr Vikas :

OK, I am giving you a link below where you can find easy to understand information on CBT.

Customer:

I guess i am just tired of talking about my feelings. I just want some medication that will help me feel better.

Dr Vikas :

See, medicines can't bring a change in your thinking pattern while CBT can/

Dr Vikas :

antidepressant can no doubt lift your mood

Dr Vikas :

and if you are still feeling depressed while being on Citalopram either your doctor can increase the dose of Citalopram or augment its effect by adding another antidepressant like Bupropion (Wellbutrin)

Dr Vikas :

currently you are on what dose of Citalopram?

Customer:

20mg

Dr Vikas :

OK, 20 mg is comparatively a low dose.

Dr Vikas :

the usual dose range is from 20-60 mg per day

Dr Vikas :

and most patients respond well to a dose range of 40 mg

Dr Vikas :

your doctor can also consider the option of augmenting the effect of Citalopram by adding Bupropion

Dr Vikas :

both of them have different mechanism of action and complement each other action.

Dr Vikas :

in addition to the medicines, you can also try free online CBT via a website because combination of medicines with Psychotherapy can give better result than medicines alone in your case in my view.

Customer:

So a higher dose of medicine might help me. I really don't think I can change the way I think and feel.

Dr Vikas :

you can give it a try.

Dr Vikas :

there is no harm in trying online CBT at your home.

Customer:

can I find cbt on the website you gave me?

Dr Vikas :

yes, I am giving you a link below to it.

Customer:

ok thanks

Dr Vikas :

via this website you can try online CBT.

Dr Vikas :

and your doctor can also consider the option of increasing the dose of Citalopram.

Customer:

You know what really bothers me that I have to live this way. I have people tell me all the time I look depressed or why am i depressed? It bothers me that people won't let me be sad. I have no choice but to feel this way.

Dr Vikas :

I can understand that. That is why I am recommending you to try CBT.

Dr Vikas :

it can be really helpful in your case.

Customer:

Just for future reference if cbt does not help me feel better what can I do then?

Dr Vikas :

well, increasing the dose of Citalopram and or augmenting it with another antidepressant like Bupropion is another option.

Customer:

ok i'll try the cbt and ask my psychiatrist to increase my dose of medication.

Dr Vikas :

great, you will surely notice a great improvement very soon

Customer:

Thanks I guess I will see if it helps me feel better.

Dr Vikas :

most welcome.

Dr Vikas :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service and I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking, if not, please let me know so that l can continue to help you. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

If you do not require further assistance,please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5 / smiley faces) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Please take a moment to rate the answer.

Kind regards

Vikas

Customer:

ok no that is all

Dr Vikas :

OK, thanks for coming to JA.