Penny Rayas, MFT
Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience:  I have 20 years experience in the mental health field

How do I find a psycharist for my 41 uyear OKMH430211

How do I find a psycharist for my 41 uyear old son who has been dis. as being bioplor

Hello there and thanks for asking JA. Do you have your son's hospital discharge papers? You can look for the psychiatrist who treated your son in the hospital, and give him a call and say that you have a hard time finding a psychiatrist. He is responsible for you son and he should give him a prescription for at least a month. In case that he does not respond any MD can give your son the medication for bipolar disorder. Call your local county office of mental health and ask for a referal. You can take him to your own doctor. You own doctor can also refer you to a psychiatist. Another place that I would look for psychiatrist is psychology today, and you can look by zip code.

I would try a general doctor first they are probably cheaper and easier to find.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he tried going to his family doctor but since he was not fimiliar with the meds he wouldn't give him a pres.

Yes some family doctors are not familier with psychiatric medications but others are more comfortable with them, while others do. Does your family doctor know of a psychiatist what would treat your son? They are usually expensive. I think your son can call the county office of mental health they may have a way to make a referral to county mental health. Most counties have an Access to mental health # XXXXX when the person has ended up in the hospital they are eligable for county mental health services. He would see a case manager who would refer him to a psychiatrist. If nothing works you would have to go to the local county hospital and go to the emergency room. Ask for your son to be on medicare to cover some of the expences. The hospital that your son was in was responsible to making after care plans and set your son with a psychiatrist. I hope this helps.