Dr. L
Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience:  Psychologist, Marriage and Family Therapist
63993671

I have social anxiety disorder. Whenever I leave the house

I have social anxiety disorder. Whenever I leave the house I feel acute shortness of breath, lightheadedness, and that beginnings of a panic attack coming on, especially when I am around large crowds. This even happens when I go to the movie theaters.

I try taking deep breathes but this only seems to exacerbate the lightheadedness. I've been to the doctor and he confirms that I don't have asthma as I can breathe fine when I'm at home by myself.

I'm presently on Trileptal and Abilify but I've been on a bunch of other medications unsuccessfully. In the past I've been diagnosed with being manic and suffering from depression.

What steps can I take to help to help with my social anxiety besides more regular exposure?

Dr. L :

I would like to help you with your question.

Customer:

Good afternoon.

Dr. L :

I am sorry that you are having difficulties.

Dr. L :

Dr. L :

Dr. L :

I would like to suggest a few things for you to take a look at.

Dr. L :

Here is an article that will help you learn a very good deep breathing process:

Dr. L :

https://sites.google.com/site/stanleyguansite/health/health-tips/breathe-deeply-to-activate-vagus-nerve

Customer:

okay. I'll read this.

Dr. L :

Another resource for you is:

Dr. L :

A Calm Brain by Gayatri Devi, M.D.

Dr. L :

This book is about learning natural ways to relax and helps explain the process of the brain.

Customer:

Great. I'll read that book too. Also, I'm reading the google sites site and it says that the exhale should be longer than the inhale. That's interesting, that's kind of counter intuitive at least in terms of the way I've always learned to deep breathe.

Dr. L :

Vagus nerve breathing is different than other breathing strategies. You will learn more about this through the article and the book.

Customer:

great. Thank you for your time.

Dr. L :

Is there any more I can help you with today?

Customer:

That's it. I'll read the book and practice the techniques you've suggested. Have a nice evening.