Penny Rayas, MFT
Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience:  I have 20 years experience in the mental health field

My relative suffers from severe panic OKMH429100

My relative suffers from severe panic attacks and anxiety. She refuses to ride as a passenger in a car, and screams and grabs your arm if you even try. Obviously, she makes it difficult in an emergency to get her to a doctor. What steps can we take to help her recover from anxiety. She was on Klonopin for 10 years, but needs to wean off due to the side effects, and is now down to .5 ml (from 3) and is taking Buspar. She has a doctor appointment in 2 weeks. I'm not sure how to get her there.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Penny Rayas, MFT replied 1 year ago.

pennyrayasMFT :

Hello and thanks for asking JA. It is really nice for you to offer to help your relative overcome anxiety. My opinion is that she needs to see a therapist who can help her with exposure therapy. If you have to take her out ask her to take deep breaths to breath in from her mouth and out her noce as she fells her body relax tell her that she is safe. She can try relaxation techiques such as progressive relaxation

pennyrayasMFT :

Hands - Clench fists
tense for 5, release, rest for 10

• Right forearms and hands - Extend arm, elbow locked, and bend hand back at the wrist
tense for 5, release, rest for 10

• Upper right arm - Bend arms at elbows and flex biceps
tense for 5, release, rest for 10

• Forehead - wrinkle forehead into frown, tense, release, rest, and/or raise eyebrows
tense for 5, release, rest for 10

• Eyes - close eyes tightly, hold and release
tense for 5, release, rest for 10

pennyrayasMFT :

continue with all major parts of body

Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience: I have 20 years experience in the mental health field