Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

My son is not sleeping well. His grandmother fell and was hurt.

My son is not sleeping well. His grandmother fell and was hurt. since that time, he has awakened from nightmare of something tragic happening to himself and others close to him. we have tried school counselor with what we thought was progress (no more nightmares) About a week later I find marjiuana in his room. He claims to have been faking the "getting better" part. He claims the dope helps him sleep. We hav e tried OTC sleep-aids. He sleeps longer-but still has the nightmares. Our next step is a psychologist maybe?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am sorry to know about your son and his grandmother accident.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

When a person develops nightmares this abruptly and always around tragedies happening to self or loved ones, it may show how traumatic such event -the accident- was for the person, who did not know how to effectively cope with the emotional impact from it, what led his psyche to fuel fear and speculation in conscious ways - through negative ideation, or subconsciously - through nightmares- about the traumatic event.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

If a person shows this problem, it could also show how more sensitive - vulnerable the person happens to be around life stressors or issues, Most times people could suffer higher anxiety levels what make them more vulnerable to develop anxiety disorders, including psycho-somatic problems, including insomnia, nightmares and more.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

When that's the case, psychological support is necessary for the person to process the traumatic event, and to learn-develop effective coping skills and anxiety management, what would allow sleep regulation and better resilience to handle new similar stressors.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

If we add Cannabis (marijuana), to this scenario, things just get much more complicated, since this drug does create anxiety disorders and mood problems, and it would be unrealistic to expect any rehabilitation from the sleep-anxiety problem while using this or other drugs.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Please look for a professional psychological support, for him to be assessed and then start psychotherapy as soon as possible for all the core issues he may present, what would offer the best chances for rehabilitation.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Does it make sense?

Customer:

yes. You have said the same things we have concluded. He has stopped the dope. We are making an appointment with psychologist this week. We belive there is some other reason he has not felt comfortable talking with his parents about yet. Thanks for confirming what we saw was not something to play with... we don't want him to harm himself or others.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You're very welcome. Then you are already doing the best to support him, now it is all about him working on himself with the right professional support too. Thank you for your trust.