Ryan LCSW
Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist
16045978

I have these occasions where Im feeling fine. Then something

I have these occasions where I'm feeling fine. Then something will come to my consciousness and I'll lose my composure and suddenly become very anxious or depressed and it will take awhile for me to build myself up again. I'm not feeling grandiose; I just feel confident. Then something comes to my consciousness and I lose it. I cover up so that other people don't know how I have these little crashes with sudden anxiety and/or depression. This last happened when I was compartmentalizing my studies and my private life and something came up that we were addressing in class and I started softly crying uncontrollably. I got control of myself during a break and afterwards and today pretended nothing had happened but I felt like something pulled the rug out from under me and I have to try and get myself back...
Thanks for your question,

I'm sorry to hear about what you've been going through. It's good that you were able to talk to your friend about it, and often times experiences like you've described seem much more significant to the person who is experiencing them than the people around them. In that way it really is possible that your friend didn't realize that anything is wrong with you, which means you are probably doing a pretty good job of keeping your composure together in most situations. However, I certainly understand your concern, and experiencing these "crashes" of anxiety and depression and that can become a very difficult thing to cope with.

Often times people who experience these types of issues have certain things that trigger these crashes. So perhaps the thoughts that come into your consciousness have similar themes, or that when certain things come up in class or in conversation, you may be more likely to have one of these crashes. If you can start to identify some of these patterns and identify the things that trigger you, that can allow you to spend some time working on these issues on your own. That way you can at least get to a point where you can emotionally prepare yourself to maintain your composure more effectively in these types of situations.

If you've identified these triggers and are still feeling emotionally unbalanced, or if you are having a hard time identifying any patterns that would allow you to get more control over this, that would be the point where it is best to speak with a professional. There are several types of anxiety and depression problems that can cause symptoms like this, and most of them are very treatable through counseling and/or medication. The fact that you are experiencing these problems doesn't mean that you have a permanent or serious condition, and with the right help you should be able to develop some ways to handle your emotions more effectively. I definitely wish you the best with all of this, and if there's anything else I can do to help please let me know.

Ryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I feel like I was doing very well in class for the past few months and now suddenly I feel like there's something wrong with me and what made me think I was so good? But I was doing fine. Now, I feel apologetic and insecure. I want to feel confident again. These little spells make me think I was not normal before but I think I was OK but I think I perform better maybe when I'm more emotionally "flat"?

To some extent many people perform better academically when they are able to detach themselves emotionally, but you are also human, and it's only natural to have your emotions influence you and your work periodically. Insecurities can aksi often produce the feelings you've described, and that even if logically you know you were doing fine, insecurities can make you think that there is something wrong with you or that you aren't good enough.

Confidence makes a big difference, and having a few of these spells can certainly affect that confidence. However you obviously have the potential inside of you to handle these situations well, so you may be able to reflect on those times when you were at your best and try to figure out if there was anything different in your life or approach that may have caused that. Unless there has been a significant life event that has caused you to feel like this, then often times by trying draw from your past positive experiences can give you good insights on things you can incorporate into your life now. The most encouraging factor is that you have performed well and handled your emotions more effectively in the past, so typically the best place to start is to examine the differences during those times and try to apply them to your current situation. Hang in there and good luck with everything,

Ryan