Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

I have been taking lithium and prozac for about 8 months but

I have been taking lithium and prozac for about 8 months but just recently my confusion depersonalization numbness and anxiety got exponentially worse this last month i was taking prozac behind my doctors back and recently went to the er and weened from 40 to 20 in one week then i just stoped today but if anything my symptoms are worsening please help!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.

Dr Vikas :

Hello

Dr Vikas :

What was the reason for stopping Prozac?

Dr Vikas :

Is it possible for you to mention your current symptoms in detail?

Dr Vikas :

what exactly is your diagnosis?

Dr Vikas :

Please reply to my queries and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Customer:

i stopped prozac because my psychiatrist and the ER said it was causing a major intersection with lithium. I feel confused as when I get these spiked episodes I almost lose control and cant identify who and where I am for brief periods of times. I feel as if I am not in my body and kerp asking myself how did this universe came be and is it posdible I get here or is it a dream. or what will happen when I die. And in turn that causes extreme anxiety and insomnia. Please help

Customer:

im diagonsed with bipolar depression sorry I took so long to respond I am not doing good

Dr Vikas :

Thanks for your reply and please accept my apologies for the delay in replying back. I was very busy in the mean while.

Dr Vikas :

Prozac has a long half life and therefore you will probably not be experiencing any withdrawal symptoms because of it.

Dr Vikas :

Now regarding your current symptoms, there is one medicine about which you can discuss with your doctor and it can help in controlling your symptoms.

Dr Vikas :

Quetiapine (Seroquel) is a effective mood stabilizer which is useful for Bipolar depression. It is very sedative so can very useful for insomnia. It can be prescribe with Lithium and should help in controlling your current symptoms like depersonalization, numbness, insomnia and anxiety.

Dr Vikas :

Prozac as you must be knowing is a SSRI antidepressant and any SSRI antidepressant when taken by patient of Bipolar disorder can destabilize his or her mood and can precipitate a hypomanic or manic symptoms. Probably same was happening to you also but since you have stopped it now so your symptoms should be under control within the next 1-2 weeks.

Dr Vikas :

For extreme anxiety, you can also discuss with your doctor about trying a low dose of Benzodiazepine like Lorazepam and Alprazolam for the time being till your doctor starts Quetiapine.

Dr Vikas :

Would like to know your views on my suggestion so that we can discuss further.

Dr Vikas :

Kind regards

Customer:

Thanks, friend! God Bless!

Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics