RealSupport
RealSupport, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

Fear of schizophrenia?? advice please? So I have been a bad

Fear of schizophrenia?? advice please?
So I have been a bad hypochondriac ever since I was little. I remember as early as 6 worrying about diseases I could have. I have really intrusive thoughts about going crazy or losing my mind. I have the Obsession part of OCD. Anyway I'm 21 now and can't seem to shake this fear of developing schizophrenia. I keep analyzing all my thoughts and behaviors and keep thinking eventually I'll get schizo. Also I have insomnia and don't sleep well and that has me worrying that my poor sleep will lead to me developing this disease too. Am I going to get this illness from worrying and poor sleep? I am already 21 so wouldn't the symptoms have poked its head out by now especially since I am a male. Also I don't have this illness in my family, just think all this worry will trigger it. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am very sorry to know how overwhelming it has been for you to cope because of anxiety and OCD from very young age.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

As you mentioned, a person who has not family history of mental illnesses - psychotic disorders, does present a lower chance to present these conditions. You are very well aware about how anxiety has impacted your life from childhood, and present OCD , hypochondria and other disorders based on anxiety are what have been limiting your life all these years, but you have not developed a psychotic disorder because of it. Sleep problems and worrying themselves do not create mental illness.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

For any mental health problem, from stress and self-confidence problems, to anxiety, depression, insomnia or any other, we all need professional psychological support, even more if a problem becomes chronic and deeply impacts mood, functioning and/or relationships.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

First you would need to make sure with your primary care physician -in case you haven;t already done it- that there is no medical problem causing this sleep problems. A complete evaluation of your sleep patterns - health would be necessary, and from the adequate medical support in order to promote sleep regulation at that level (physically, including diet-nutrition, physical activity, daily habits, etc). Then, you should focus on consistently working on reducing anxiety levels and symptoms with regular psychotherapy, since this is the best source of professional support whenever it is about mental health and well-being.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Delaying or not keeping consistency working on your rehabilitation with adequate professional psychotherapeutic support would only worse these problems, and that's something you would not want to afford. You are a very young adult, thus you have excellent chances to work on an effective rehabilitation process if with the right support.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Does it make sense?

Customer:

Yes I am going to go and get a medical evaluation. I'm just trying to wrap my head around this, so my constant obsessing and sleep issues won't trigger schizophrenia? Again wouldn't this disease show itself since I am 22 very soon?

Customer:

and also my sleep issues are caused by my worry that I won't get enough sleep which will make my problems worse. It's sort of like a self fulfilling prophecy. It's really stressing because sleep is just sleep. I know that it is so crucial for my mental health and because of that worry I stay awake.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I support you and your decision to get necessary medical evaluation. Please, do not forget to look for necessary professional psychotherapy for you to work on your rehabilitation process. medical support can help you at the physical level, and that's very good, but for the OCD and any other anxiety or related mental health disorder, you need psychotherapeutic support, which should be consistent.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

For a stressor to "trigger schizophrenia", this mental illness predispositions would have to already be there in your genes, and because you have no family history or mental illness nor have shown any psychotic problem, it would be incorrect to believe these situations would trigger schizophrenia. Please commit to your rehabilitation process from ODC, hypochondria and any other mental health problem you may have, for you to be able to build and enjoy the life and well-being you need and deserve.