Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

Ive been on Paxil, recently at 30mg, since I was in 7th grade.

I've been on Paxil, recently at 30mg, since I was in 7th grade. I'm 18 now. I've started my withdrawal for about 3 days now. I went off cold turkey which I know is a bad idea but it's too late now. My sysmptoms are FLU sysmptoms , so nausea, dizzy, sweating and some body shocks when I exercise. How long shud I expect this to take before I start to feel better? Is there anything else I can do?

Dr Vikas :

Hello

Dr Vikas :

Since you stopped Paxil cold turkey so it is very much possible that you are experiencing discontinuation / withdrawal symptoms. The characteristic withdrawal symptoms reported by most patients are dizziness, tingling sensation, electric shock like sensation, insomnia, irritability, nausea, insomnia to name a few.

Dr Vikas :

In most cases, these withdrawal symptoms may persist for 1-2 weeks and then subside.

Customer: Ok, is there a general timeframe for these sysmptoms ?
Dr Vikas :

in some patients they may persist for a little longer that is 2-3 weeks.

Dr Vikas :

there is no such time frame but as seen clinically, it is approximately 1-3 weeks

Customer: Ok, do you recommend i keep taking lithium oritate thought my withdrawal process?
Dr Vikas :

the best strategy to control these withdrawal symptoms are to ask your doctor to restart the previous tolerable dose for 3-5 days and then taper it down slowly over 1-2 week period.

Dr Vikas :

If you are not able to tolerate these symptoms or they are becoming severe the best strategy is to restart Paxil and then taper it down under supervision of your doctor. You can easily taper it down within 1-3 weeks.

Customer: Ok thank you
Dr Vikas :

I don't think Lithium Oritate is of any use

Dr Vikas :

you are most welcome.

Customer: It has gotten rid of my depression , an it doesn't have any side effects. I'm just sick fro
Dr Vikas :

ok, I hope your doctor is aware of this fact that you are taking Lithium

Customer: for the withdrawal at the moment. I know it's not recommended by doctors cause its not a prescription medicine. So if you weren't in this field I'd recommend it
Dr Vikas :

OK, I usually recommend Cognitive Behavior Therapy if a patient is not much interested in taking medicine.

Dr Vikas :

have you ever tried CBT?

Customer: Yes , I've had therapy, but don't believe in it like I do believe in other things like therapy through a nutrient diet. So, thank you or your help , and hopefully I'll get through the withdrawal as soon as my body allows me to.
Dr Vikas :

ok, I have seen patients who are able to stop Paroxetine abruptly and are able to tolerate withdrawal symptoms.

Customer: The goal is not to take lithium either just to let you know.
Customer: Thank you so much. Cheers.
Dr Vikas :

being a young man, probably you will be able to tolerate these symptoms

Dr Vikas :

but just in case, if these symptoms become severe, you know now what to do.

Dr Vikas :

you are most welcome.

Dr Vikas :

do you have any other question to ask?

Customer: Not any than haven't been answered already. I'll give you a high rating sir!
Dr Vikas :

thanks a lot.

Dr Vikas :

thanks for coming to JA.

Dr Vikas :

Kind regards

Dr Vikas :

Vikas