Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

My question is, i was recently diagnosed with ptsd, anxiety,

My question is, i was recently diagnosed with ptsd, anxiety, agoraphobia with panic disorder, ocd and depressive disorder. I have days where i feel like i have a ton of energy but at the same time i'm tired and don't want to move, kind of like my body is cycling. Is this common with any of these illnesses or could it be something else?

Dr Vikas :

Hello

Dr Vikas :

tiredness, fatigue, lethargy, lack of motivation are frequently reported by patients suffering from depression however cycling of mood is not frequently reported by depressive patients

Customer:

I don't feel angry or depressed when this happens, it's kind of a more mellow feeling but like i have a bunch of energy and i feel the need to just do something impulsive like spend money but yet i don't want to move from my chair

Dr Vikas :

OK, is it possible for you to try a short online screening quiz?

Customer:

Yes

Dr Vikas :

OK, I am giving you a link below

Dr Vikas :

please try it and let me know about your score.

Customer:

Ok

Customer:

My score was a 51

Dr Vikas :

thanks for trying the quiz, on the basis of this score, in my view, you should be screened for the possibility of Bipolar disorder by your Psychiatrist.

Dr Vikas :

Bipolar disorder consist of depression episode as well as hypomanic or manic episodes.

Customer:

I have mentioned it to him before and he just says i'm depressed, kind of like he doesn't want to listen to how i am on a daily basis. I have been dealing with this for 10 years or so

Dr Vikas :

Sometimes Bipolar disorder is missed by many doctors and the diagnosis remain as depression.

Dr Vikas :

Probably you must be knowing that antidepressant when taken by a Bipolar disorder patient may further destabilize the mood.

Dr Vikas :

and most patients report no improvement with antidepressant alone.

Customer:

When i took zoloft i ended up suicidal and my mood swings got violent which is why i tried to explain that they don't work for me

Dr Vikas :

mood swings are a frequently reported by patients suffering from Bipolar disorder.

Dr Vikas :

now what you can do is that you can take the quiz score to your doctor and ask him or her to screen you thoroughly for the possibility of mood disorder

Customer:

They did say i had a unspecified mood disorder which could be anything if i understand correctly

Dr Vikas :

But the scores are indicating that there is a possibility of frank Bipolar disorder in your case.

Dr Vikas :

and if it is indeed Bipolar disorder then antidepressant like Zoloft or Lexapro will not help much

Dr Vikas :

For Bipolar disorder, you will be needing a mood stabilizer.

Dr Vikas :

either in combination with antidepressant or without it.

Customer:

This has really helped me. I've lost alot of people from this and what types of mood stabilizers are there?

Dr Vikas :

There are various mood stabilizers available like Aripiprazole, Seroquel, Lamotrigine, Sodium Valproated, Olanzapine etc.

Dr Vikas :

For Bipolar depression, Lamotrigine is a very good option.

Dr Vikas :

Now a days, Aripiprazole and Quetiapine are frequently used by many doctors.

Customer:

Okay. I will make sure i print the quiz results out and show my psychiatrist, and make sure it's a thorough diagnosis.

Dr Vikas :

great, and please also go through the link I have given above for better understanding of Bipolar disorder.

Dr Vikas :

here I am giving it again.

Customer:

Okay. Thank you so much for your help. Hopefully i will get the right diagnosis and medication this time, and i will also print that link out as well.

Dr Vikas :

You are most welcome.

Dr Vikas :

Thanks for coming to JA.

Dr Vikas :

If you are satisfied with my answer please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5 / smiley faces) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Please take a moment to rate the answer.

Kind regards

Vikas