Penny Rayas, MFT
Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience:  I have 20 years experience in the mental health field

Been going to counselling almost OKMH424211postanswer

Been going to counselling almost every week for 2 years. A Cluster C male whom keeps landing with Cluster Bs creating a Cluster F :). Anyways, had a breakthrough 2 weeks ago. As if a combining of child and adult egos. My Counselor said some of them call it the pink cloud where you just feel laid back and good. Really awesome actually. Finally I laugh at stuff, avoid situations I would have otherwise engaged in (i.e. yelling at another car) and lost the urge to drink. I was up to 6 to 8 a day for the preceding 4 months. 3 to 4 for the preceding 15 years. No real withdrawals except lots of fatigue and laziness. I drank 2 drinks 2 times just to minimize the symptoms. I gagged. I really have lost 90% of my urge. 2 days ago I went out because after 2 weeks at home with kids and without interaction. I drank 6 and didnt feel like it since. Didnt feel like it then actually just habit while socializing. Today I feel some depression and I am surprised. Is it harder on the mind and body to drink one night and not 4 than to quit all together? Does it re-start the withdrawal process all over? I am kinda happy that I can take it or leave it for the first time in my life. Any advice on how to deal with long term moderate to heavy drinking aould be helpful. I am the size and almost in the shape of a College linebacker to give you some idea of health although I am over 35.

pennyrayasMFT :

Hello there and thanks for aking just ask. I am not sure that I understand your question. Are asking if it is possible to go from abusing alcohol to being a social drinker? you said you experienced depression after drinking. This is common because alcohol is a depressent. The "Pink Cloud" is the fake happiness people in recovery experience for 30 to 90 days after they are sober. Then most people start to believe that maybe they can control their drinking and drink less. It all depends if the person has been dependent of alcohol, abusing alcohol, how much and and how long they have been drinking. In a large study they took 1000 men who met the criteria for depression and put them in a hospital they all drinked from one drink a day to 12 drinks a day. After 6 months in the hospital only 5% of the men met the criteria for depression.

I had the pink cloud before I stopped. Im wondering if a person is worse off stopping for 2 weeks, drinking for 2 days, then stopping again for 2 weeks if they have abused alcohol moderately for 15 years and heavily for 2 vs moderate drinking.

pennyrayasMFT :

No I think any stopping to drinking is better for you than never stopping. The recovery that you had gave you some insides on how it feels and some time for your liver to heal. Keep trying to cut back on stop all together. Studies tells us that if you drink more than 2 drinks a day you are damaging your liver. I think what you are talking about is the feeling of feeling sad when you stop drinking. It is hard because your body leanred how to not produce seratonin unless you drink. Nothing is fun when your body does not have seratonin. This goes away as you learn how to live a sobber life and enjoy activities that do not include drinking