Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach

Do you have to have psychosis to have a deceptive percepti

Do you have to have psychosis to have a deceptive perception?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Customer: Hello
Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Customer: I want to know if have a hallucination that seems real but not real is this psychosis
Rafael M.T.Therapist :

A person does not have to have psychosis to experience distorted perceptions or too interpret them in incorrect ways, from hallucinations to illusions.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hallucinations could have very different origins and are not exclusive of psychosis.

Customer: The ot
Rafael M.T.Therapist :

They could be the consequence of neurological problems, sleep disorders, substance abuse or reaction to drugs, depression or anxiety with psychotic symptoms, infectious diseases and more.

Customer: Her psychiatrist told me that they wre not distorted perception but deceptive perceptions
Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I see, he-she may have referred to the same concept.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hallucinations are experiences where the person believes -experiences there is something there, while in reality such object-subject does not exist.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Again, hallucinations could be experienced under very different circumstances and are not limited to psychosis.

Customer: Right, but there must be something to tell a person that they are just hallucinating
Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Sorry, could you clarify your second question?

Customer: If a Pearson was experiencing hallucinations would they know that they were hallucinating without having psychosis
Rafael M.T.Therapist :

if you are talking about a person presenting psychotic symptoms like hallucinations, the professional would assess her-his mental health status, mood, functioning and health processes, and then develop an initial diagnosis.

People who experience hallucinations could or could not be aware that they are experiencing apparent perceptions, which are about objects that are not truly there, it would depend on the nature of such symptom.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Pseudohallucinations are understood as the experience of hallucinations where the person is aware that they are not perceptions of reality but only apparent perceptions.

Customer: I had schizophrenia and I had all pseudo hallucinations but only two wher I could not tell
Rafael M.T.Therapist :

In such cases the person has good insight about the hallucinatory experiences, knowing that they are unreal.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I see. Many people with schizophrenia could learn to identify and distinguish some hallucinatory experiences from reality.

Customer: So when having schizophrenia just having two hallucinations out of the many would not that be odd
Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Most times people with schizophrenia use to have hallucinations, then you are right.

Customer: Can you elaborate because I did not understand last response
Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You are not reporting having had prominent hallucinations, but exclusively two.

Customer: Yes I had all pseudo hallucination and only two were hallucinatons
Rafael M.T.Therapist :

One of the core criteria for the diagnosis of schizophrenia is to have prominent hallucinations, thus if the person mostly presents pseudo hallucinations, the diagnosis would not be accurate, unless those two hallucinations happen frequently.

Customer: I knew that it was not the right diagnosis but someone told me they did not know what it could be. I took the mmpi2 and ink blot and I had no symptoms of schizophrenia.
Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Schizophrenia is believed to be a chronic mental illness, thus it is not common to find a person suffering of it one day and then being "healed" and symptoms free after a while, such cases use to point at other different sources causing the psychotic symptoms but not schizophrenia.

Customer: I know that it was not major depression .i am wondering what psyctoic
Customer: I had paranoid schizophrenia
Rafael M.T.Therapist :

The only way to have known would have been through a correct and complete mental evaluation, which would start by an initial intake assessment followed by several assessment sessions in order to develop the right diagnosis.

Customer: They took a head scan and blood sample and a interview
Rafael M.T.Therapist :

There is no medical exam that could define a correct psychological- psychiatric diagnosis, it is through the professionals expertise, mostly by a multidisciplinary team working on a consistent and competent way through several assessment sessions, where psychological processes, mood, functioning, relationships that a correct diagnosis is developed.

Customer: Than you, you have been a great help
Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You're very welcome.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Thank you for your trust.