TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

can Effexor xr ever work again after it pooped out ?

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

Yes it can. Drugs like Effexor XR affect different chemicals in the brain depending on the dosage. For most people, Effexor XR at the mid level dosage point. However, after a period of time these medications will become less effective. Unlike many other drugs, many doctors will not raise the dose of the Effexor XR because it affects or changes other brain chemicals. Once you go off Effexor XR completely, it will take approximately one year before you can take the medication again. Between time, you will be given other medications to help alleviate your symptoms until you can take the Effexor XR again.

I hope this has helped you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been off Effexor for a year and a half but was taking pristiq which I know is similar it worked slightly and now im on Cymbalta which has no effect so do u still think its possible for Effexor xr to work I was on it for 10 yrs stopped in nov 2011

Yes, you can start taking Effexor XR again. The other medications you were on had different chemical structures although they work similarly. Effexor XR is different so it should work well for you again.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't and cant see my psychiatrist till wed and I think Cymbalta is making things worse im currently on 60 mg is it safe to start tapering down to 30 starting today

It is advisable that you either call your psychiatrist now or wait to see him/her face to face before you consider altering your medication dosage. A professional can only tell you what is advisable if they see you face to face because your own personal medical status must be known in order to give you the correct advice.

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!