Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

Dear Dr. Keane, I have a problem, well I know you know that

Dear Dr. Keane, I have a problem, well I know you know that already but I was just thinking that recently someone who I served at work told me what I did for her and how I served her was “amazing”. All well and good, was very pleased and pity I didn't tell her to write that down, but I am not very good at thinking about that sort of thing quickly enough, and also this time I got cold feet when it did cross my mind. Later though, I had all these anxious type feelings. I don't know why, I mean I've had people praise me before. They didn’t last, but it was just weird. I am also guessing you have had plenty of reviews in your time for your work. I have not and am quite inexperienced in them. Had a couple of quick ones, which seemed to go well. Now it is an end of year work review with much to consider, so have taken notes on competencies. Feel a bit nervous about it. As I do it I have come across a couple of negatives so far, that's okay I think because I can see how I can also turn it into perhaps a more positive statement. I also have no idea if I am really good at some of the competencies or not, others I can be very sure of. I am working through the procedural forms step-by-step as well as everything else that has to be done, both for paid and non-paid work and working out a schedule to complete everything on time. I am working to try and not become too overwhelmed by thoughts and emotions. I managed to de-stress after all that I was doing last week. It reminded me that it can be quite tiring to keep myself going and on an even-keel but worth it. I hope I am in your opinion making some improvements and I hope I continue to be worth your time in helping. Any advice on how to best handle the review would be useful if possible please. I think I am a bit nervous because of a what if, I know the answer is so what, but for instance, what if I think I am good at my job and think I am working the best I possibly can and this is seen differently, the answer would be to take everything on-board and to quickly show change before my post goes at the end of the month right? Part of me is confident about it going well, but there’s just this little bit of self-doubt.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 1 year ago.

Dr.Keane :

Hi, when it is time for reviews, especially when you are a person that holds themselves to "higher standards" there is apt to be anxiety. Know that what you do you do to the best of your ability. If there is any negative comments, say thank you for bringing them to my attention, I"ll work on doing better.

Dr.Keane :

herself...

Customer:

Hi, this may be because it's been a long day, but you wrote "herself..." I am just wondering where that fits in with your answer. Thank you for getting back to me. I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully also when review time comes I'll feel less angst. Yes you're right, I do do things to the best of my ability. I will try and think more on that. Sorry I missed you today.

Customer:

Read what you wrote again, completely understand and see where "herself..." comes into your answer now. So sorry I hadn't initially.

Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience: Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.