Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

I just found out that I am pregnant. I suffer from severe anxiety

I just found out that I am pregnant. I suffer from severe anxiety and depression. I was on Paroxetine 40mg and Xanax ,5mg as needed and had to stop abruptly. Is there a safe SSRI to take during pregnancy I cant handle the off balance and panic attacks. Please help.

Dr Vikas :

Hello

Dr Vikas :

You can discuss with your doctor about Escitalopram or Sertraline. Both of them are pregnancy category C drug. [Some animal studies show adverse effect, no cnotrolled studies in humans].

Customer:

Are they anti-depression/anxiety? Category C. Thats somewhat dangerous as well?

Dr Vikas :

Just like most of the antidepressants, while selecting a SSRI antidepressant, a clinician must weigh the risk of treatment to the child against the risk of no treatment to the mother and the child and for many patients the decision is to usually continue the treatment with Sertraline or Escitalopram.

Dr Vikas :

see, as such there is no particular SSRI antidepressant which is considered safe in pregnancy.

Dr Vikas :

Antidepressants are usually avoided during first trimester.

Dr Vikas :

but depending on the clinical circumstances, a doctor may decide to continue treatment.

Customer:

Oh, I see. Its just hard because the disorder has come back so hard since abruptly stopping the medication. I believe that the stress is also affecting the baby.

Dr Vikas :

I can understand your situation. And that is why, I am asking you to discuss with your doctor about these two medicines.

Dr Vikas :

in addition to medicines, you can also try certain relaxation techniques if you have not tried them already

Dr Vikas :

In your case, Deep breathing and progressive relaxation techniques can be very useful in controlling the acute anxiety attack.

Customer:

I really appreciate you taking the time out to suggest these medications. Hopefully they will approve and one will work. The constant off balance make you feel ass if you are going to faint or worse. Ive tried meditation my mind just races so that hasnt been a sucess.

Dr Vikas :

you are most welcome. Just try the relaxation techniques also.

Customer:

I fully intend on trying these methods. God willingly they will work. Thanks for your time Dr. Vikas

Dr Vikas :

you are most welcome again.

Dr Vikas :

don't worry, these techniques should be helpful in your case and may be you won't be needing medicines too.

Dr Vikas :

wishing good health for both the mother and the baby..

Dr Vikas :

Kind regards

Dr Vikas :

Vikas

Dr Vikas :

If you are satisfied with my answer please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5 / smiley faces) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Please take a moment to rate the answer.

Customer:

Okay. Thanks

Customer:

I am satisfied with the answers. I felt an anxiety attack brewing and this totally calmed me down.